Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easier to tune SD or MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easier to tune SD or MAF?

Well I'm finally about to start tuning (HP Tuners Pro w/ LC-1) and was wondering whether it would be easier to tune with or without the MAF for my setup.

TSP 402 w/ Patriot Stage 3 heads, Cam 248/254 0.629/0.622 113lsa

Right now it has the stock intake and TB, but I will be installing a FAST 102 intake & TB as soon as taxes come in. Main reason I was debating on SD in the first place is I will have a 104mm lid as well and I don't want to restrict the airflow w/ an 85mm MAF and I don't want to pay the money for another MAF.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably SD in your case.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the main positive's and negative's with an SD tune?

I live in the Pittsburgh area and there isn't much elevation changes.
I just purchased everything and Dan Maslic's book, so I don't know much of anything quite yet when it comes to tuning.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Honestly I think sd tune is much more strait forward and simple. But experienced tuners disagree.

Reason for my opinion is well... for fuel you change the VE and for spark.. well thats obvious.

Maf has both a ve table the pcm references aswell as the maf mainly for fueling. I dont have a grasp on changing the maf calibration to achieve desired results yet. If I had a working WB02, my stock 99 ls1 would be on a SD tune right now.

Plus i believe a SD tune is better anyways (specificly for performance). Daily drivers do benefit from retaining the Maf. This is assuming your not making power beyond the maf's capability.

But this is coming from a complete and udder novice. Still figuring it all out and reading (have been for about 4 years. Most of my focus has been towards SD as my toys have always been boosted (the one car i have built at least)