Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help w/HPTuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help w/HPTuners

I finally got my copy of HPTuners and am having some issues getting started on my '02 Camaro. The first night I got it, I hooked it up to the car and was able to run a scan on it. I was too nervous to just jump right into the Editor before I did some more reading so a couple nights later when I figured I was ready to take the leap, I plugged the cable into the car and clicked "Read VCM" and it came back with the error message "Can not connect, make sure key is on or run position." I have been on the HPTuners Forum and talking with Bill via email. I've been through the fuse panels, charged the battery on the car, I even went out and bought a new Optima Red Top to put in the car. This morning, I plugged my HPTuners into our company truck and was able to run a scan with no problems. So I've narrowed it down to being my car as the problem. But now I'm stuck! I have no idea where to go from here. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I ever see this is if the battery voltage is too low.

Have you tried connecting while the charger is actually charging the battery?

Lift the eBrake handle to make sure the lights aren't on, draining the battery.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: I tried hooking it up to 2 different vehicles that are in the same "HPTuner Category" and was unable to connect to either of them. I got the same error message of "Unable to connect. Make sure the cables are connected and the key is in the ON position." Possibly NOT my car as the problem then!!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Well the laptop says it's connected for the Cable Status: on the bottom of the screen, so I think everything is a go up to the OBDII port. I was able to run a scan on an '08 Chevy Silverado with no problem. After working with tech support from HPTuners, I have to send the interface and cables in to have them checked. BUMMER!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Only kind of a bummer, at least they are checking it out for you.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Try plugging in one of those cheap code scanners and see if it reads in your car. I had a blown fuse on a G5 and the scanner wouldn't read the car. Replaced the fused and the scanner worked. There is a 12 volt power supply in the OBDII plug. The fuse for the cigarette lighter is usually the same one that powers the OBDII plug. Just a shot in the dark.