PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 firebird 99 & up conversion Fuel level Gauge inop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 firebird 99 & up conversion Fuel level Gauge inop?

Anyone know a cure to fix the gauge issue with a 98 fourth gen when converted to a 99 and up computer? I have been back and forth with hptuners and they originally said the 2 files could be mated together and make the gauge work, but know they say it's not possible.... after the swap has been completed of course.

I have read a few threads that say a 2000 or 2001 chevy van sender tables work but when I transfer the numbers the gauge is still inop.

Any info would be great before I go out and buy a 99 sender assembly and run into more issues.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I can help
A van segment has NOTHING to do with it
Read this
http://www.monodax.com/forums/off-to...templates.html
Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

you need to have a fuel segment swap done to your pcm.
You need efi live to do it.
I can post the file for you but it will cost 4 HP credits.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can do segment swaps as well, the files just need to be compatible ie the same operating system to do the swap.

-Bill
Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input bill, so what do i need to do or find to get this problem solved? I emailed you back and forth yesterday, but i still have no answer on what is needed other than "the files just need to be compatible ie the same operating system to do the swap."

and

"I really cannot give you advice as to which file will work or won’t, I can just tell you that there is no way to swap a segment from a multi segment file into a single segment file, its physically not possible."

So what is needed? You say they need to be the same operating system so where do I go from here? I just want to get this issue taken care of, it has been done before by hptuners, so why can't this just be taken care of and emailed back?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Yes I can help
A van segment has NOTHING to do with it
Read this
http://www.monodax.com/forums/off-to...templates.html

Thanks for the input! But I read the link and still am not sure what is needed to be done. Is that the tables from efi live?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Teching In

"you need to have a fuel segment swap done to your pcm.
You need efi live to do it.
I can post the file for you but it will cost 4 HP credits."

If the tech support at HPtuners cannot get this handled for me I will send you a message and try to get this taken care of. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trbokmro
Thanks for the input! But I read the link and still am not sure what is needed to be done. Is that the tables from efi live?
HPT should have an update so you can adjust the needed parameters. Correct Bill?
You just need to enable the PCM's PWM output signal and set the HZ to 60.1 for a 98 IPC

Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

You could use a van segment and then flip the other table, but all you are doing is turning on the 2 paramters above

Anyone want to learn Hex-Editing I can show you how
Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I will try emailing the link to bill at hp and see if he can get it swapped, it looks like an easy fix, one I would think hp should already know..... I think you should apply for a job at HP! lol

Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

I will try emailing the link to bill at hp and see if he can get it swapped, it looks like an easy fix, one I would think hp should already know..... I think you should apply for a job at HP! lol

Thanks again for the help!
Bill helped me out on that project so I shared my info with him.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

months ago what i asked HPT suppord about the fuel segment swap they told me they could not do it anymore.
So its done now with EFI live.

Looks like CalEditor figured out a way to turn on a path in the pcm to read the fuel level thru the Pulse with modulator vs the Serial data.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
months ago what i asked HPT suppord about the fuel segment swap they told me they could not do it anymore.

Looks like CalEditor figured out a way to turn on a path in the pcm to read the fuel level thru the Pulse with modulator vs the Serial data.
We do about one a month, no idea who you talked to but I highly doubt anyone told you "we could not do it anymore".
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CalEditor
HPT should have an update so you can adjust the needed parameters. Correct Bill?
You just need to enable the PCM's PWM output signal and set the HZ to 60.1 for a 98 IPC

I sent the info to our head engineer but he hasn't had a chance to look into the table(s) further as of yet so we are still just doing segment swaps for now.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy

all 0411 use the same fuel segment "template" all 99 - 00 PCM's (4896) use that same fuel segment "template" This template is very very similar to the 0411, but the address are offset. It is very easy to find it in the 4896 then. Bill asked me to help and he did mention doing fuel segemnt swaps in the emails. I would think the newest BETA has the added parameters
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foff667
I sent the info to our head engineer but he hasn't had a chance to look into the table(s) further as of yet so we are still just doing segment swaps for now.
Thats too bad. It takes me just minutes to add parameters to TunerCat.
Maybe soon you will have it added
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Teching In

so I guess I am right back to my first question.....

If - "We do about one a month, no idea who you talked to but I highly doubt anyone told you "we could not do it anymore"." - Bill HPtuners

what is the big secret here? You do about 1 a month, could you get mine done? Or at least tell me what I need to provide you with, besides "we are still just doing segment swaps", which does me no good.

Could you please do these segment swaps on my tune as I asked in the first place?

I still fail to see what the big issue here is, you say hptuners do them and can do them, why is this taking so much effort?

Thanks for your input
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

If - "We do about one a month, no idea who you talked to but I highly doubt anyone told you "we could not do it anymore"." - Bill HPtuners

what is the big secret here? You do about 1 a month, could you get mine done? Or at least tell me what I need to provide you with, besides "we are still just doing segment swaps", which does me no good.

Could you please do these segment swaps on my tune as I asked in the first place?

I still fail to see what the big issue here is, you say hptuners do them and can do them, why is this taking so much effort?

Thanks for your input
I can try to do it for you later today at no charge as long as it doesn't cost me any HPT credits.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for your input
I don't have the proper segment for the os id you sent 9381344

If you can send it, post it or if someone here would be so kind as to post it I would be more than happy to get the segments swapped for you. Without a compatible file a segment swap is not possible as the offsets could be different and could cause major issues with your file if you try to shove a 2002 segment into a 99/00 operating system

-Bill
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by CalEditor
I can try to do it for you later today at no charge as long as it doesn't cost me any HPT credits.
If you want you can post the .hpt or .bin file here for the os id he's using with the settings change to what they need to be and I'll have the segment swap done for him within an hour, problem is I currently only have the correct segment for the more popular 12212156 os.

-Bill

Quick Reply: 1998 firebird 99 & up conversion Fuel level Gauge inop?