Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tuning issue?

PIcked up my car from the shop on thursday. When I got to the shop that had to do a minor tune adjustment becasue when I got in it, I started it and it was surging through the RPMs and died out. When they adjusted the tune, I didnt have a problem until friday night.

Friday evening my car was fairly warm and I had to change parking spots at my school. The new spot, I couldnt make the turn so I had to put it in reverse and the RPMs dropped and died out. I started it again and finished backing up, put it in Drive and it died again. The third time I was able to get the car running to park it.

Saturday evening I was letting it idle and while I was the RPMs with surging between like 600 and 1500, after it found the idle I went and drove it for about 3 or 4 miles. The temp got up to about 170-180 and I shut it off for a few mintues while I grabbed a bite to eat. I got back into the car, the RPMs jumped to 1100 or so and it died. I tried to start it two times after that and it took a lot of cranking before it would catch. Finally on the 4th try it started and I had to keep the RPMs around 2000 for a few seconds before it would idle.

About 3:30am Sunday morning, my roommate and I went to go ge food and we took my car. The engine was cold and it fired right up and had no ssues finding an idle and it did not surge. We drive about 5 miles and and then we park the car for less then 10 minutes, the temp gauge shows roughly 170. we got back into the car and it had a hard time starting and surged and then died. Had to restart the car and it was fine.

The following mods were done:
LS2 243 heads
EPS 222/226 .596/.598 114 LSA
SLP underdrive pulley
BBK intake manifold
SLP LM1 catback

Would the tune need to be adjusted? And the car is an A4.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, needs a tune. Until you can get it done, you can adjust the screw under the throttle arm. If it doesn't look like it adjusts, take the throttle body off (3 bolts), lift the throttle body up and look under it. You will see a bolt in there with a torx bit head on it (star). Pull it out, and put it on the other side so that you can adjust it and it affects your idle.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I went back to the shop and they tweaked the tune. The car ran fine during the hour and half drive to my parents, but two hours after I got to my parents I started the car to wash it and it would crank and then just die. Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/user/uLs1a#p/a/u/0/tiNzHp6-qvY

Starting the car cold its fine, starting the car hot its fine, but once the car is driven for awhile and sits for a bit thats where the problem comes.