PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know if wide band is right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default How do I know if wide band is right?

I have an NGK AFX wideband hooked up to a HP Tuners EIO.
I tuned my vette last fall and Im wondering if the widebands values were not even close?? My idle A/F was around 14-15:1 according to this WB (os so i think). I had some high idle problems and cut the table almost in half to get it to idle perfect.

I also tuned a friends car that he sold..... cruise/idle was around 14-15:1 and when you got on it, it went to 12.2:1 up till about 4000 rpms and then to about 12.8:1 No knock at all. He sold the car and the new guy had it tuned on a dyno.... he said it was extremely lean....dangerously lean. Car put down a little over 300whp when he brought it there, but after adding fuel went to like 406whp. Seems kind of a big jump..... but I do question my WB's readings.

Im at work right now so I can access my configuration file for the WB... but does anyone else use the AFX? And with HP Tuners EIO? If so what formula did you put in the config file?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I compare the 02 voltages to the wideband to see if they are close. Thats about the only way to check the wideband unless you have a few different brands around to switch out.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest thing I had an issue with was making sure the HPT Scanner was set up appropriately - for the longest time, I didn't have the input calibration scaled correctly, so even though the wideband was saying one thing, it wasn't being scaled properly in the datalogs, so I was making incorrect fueling adjustments. My first clue was when I hooked up a gauge to the wideband, and compared the two - after that, everything has been as good as I can expect. I trust it, but know that it could potentially be wrong...that is the risk you run with any measurement tool.

Widebands can always be recalibrated, and I usually do so before going out on a long tuning excursion.

As for the other issue you had, there's nothing to say there wasn't some other underlying issue like a fuel pump going out, although if that was the case, he probably wouldn't have been able to get the A/F ratio back in line.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another way is hooking the wideband to the EIO while the sensor is in free air. In VCM Scanner you should see 20.9
Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"....Car put down a little over 300whp when he brought it there, but after adding fuel went to like 406whp. Seems kind of a big jump..... "

kind of a big jump? I find it hard to beleave that the car was driveable if the tune was off over 100 hp
Just me, Johnny
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When in closed loop control the A/F ratio increase and decrease about 14.4 as the short trim factors adjust the air fuel ratio. I just look for the roll around 14.4 driving down the road.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The biggest thing I had an issue with was making sure the HPT Scanner was set up appropriately -
This is what im talking about.. Im sure the WB works fine, How do I know its scaled corectly? What formula do I put into the scanner?

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
"....Car put down a little over 300whp when he brought it there, but after adding fuel went to like 406whp. Seems kind of a big jump..... "

kind of a big jump? I find it hard to beleave that the car was driveable if the tune was off over 100 hp
Just me, Johnny
Yea... I know. I Find it hard to believe also. But my lean idle issue I just had with my vette made me think of that.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should use whatever wideband software came with
the thing, to read or assert the AFR-volts map. It's
easiest, if not ideal, to use factory defaults with the
tuning software / cable packages. My LM-1 seems to
revert to factory when the battery is replaced and I
get mis-scaled (against my preferred range settings)
logs until I remember to fix it.

Dynos like to use tailpipe sensors which are easy and
very unreliable. I'd trust a tool I owned and cared for
and was located right, over somebody else's every time.

But widebands can be spoofed by some things, like
misfires, as well. You have to keep an eye on what
they're telling you and have a sense of what's sane,
and chase down causes if something smells wrong.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
When in closed loop control the A/F ratio increase and decrease about 14.4 as the short trim factors adjust the air fuel ratio. I just look for the roll around 14.4 driving down the road.
mine does exactly the same.
pwrtrip i use lambda and its

volts/10.42+.62 and i know the afr math is in the manual for the ngk, i just don't have it here in front of me. somewhere (here or hpforum) sound engineer does one of his famous 1000 word discertations on it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You should use whatever wideband software came with
the thing,
It didnt come with software.

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
mine does exactly the same.
pwrtrip i use lambda and its

volts/10.42+.62 and i know the afr math is in the manual for the ngk, i just don't have it here in front of me. somewhere (here or hpforum) sound engineer does one of his famous 1000 word discertations on it.

Ive been away from this thing for a week now.... now back at it.
I went through my config file and here is how I have it.

Volts/0.7143 + 9

I dont remember where I came up with that.... but How do I know what value to put in there. If I remember right the one in the manual it told me to put in was way off and the display on the WB was nowhere near what the HPtuners was saying.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

thats the right one for afr but ngk considers this to be 14.57 and most people think of stoich as 14.68 or 14.2 etc. i tried to work with this and it was too much of a hassle. the minute i switched to lambda it was right on.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

So the Volts/0.7143 + 9 is correct? Im questioning it a lot....thinking its leaner than its advertising.

Last night just messing around I changed the stoich value to 13.5 to see if it would make a difference.... and it did. Still idled perfect, seem to pull harder and it broke the tires loose going into 3rd pretty easy.... didnt do that before.

I think I need to start all over tuning this thing. But I want to know that what im reading is right.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Compare the LCD display to the values in your scanner software.... That will tell you quickly if the AFR is wrong.

What sensor do you have with the AFX, the bosch (bad) or the NTK (good)

Ryan
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow
Compare the LCD display to the values in your scanner software.... That will tell you quickly if the AFR is wrong.

What sensor do you have with the AFX, the bosch (bad) or the NTK (good)

Ryan
this^.
i can tell if i am in open loop my lcd says 14.55-14.6. and my scanner says 1.0 i am in the money. tell me are you in clsd or clmafve?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Its the ratio im wondering about... I know its really close driving around low rpm.... when its around 14.5:1ish... but when im on it full throttle and cant study both readings... when it dips down to 12.5:1 I dont know because im not about to watch them while at full throttle closely....lol.. So unless I run it to the bottom of the scale which is either 9 or 10:1 to see if that is on, and then to the top of the scale to see... how else would you know?
Hope I make sense.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Command a static airfuel ratio at WOT such as 12:1 and then when you have your airflow calculation dialed in correctly and you are achieving the 12:1 in your datalogger, then look at the wideband itself.

Personally I have 3 widebands on my dyno, 2 AFX and an AFM1000 and I can look at the graph of all 3 along with my datalogs on a seperate application and review it all after the run, but most people do not have these tools available.

Ryan
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

i think the answer is faith. i think ngk probably has there slope formula figured out. when i command a pe of .86 lambda and i log my ngk it will read close to .86 as long as my ve is correct. when i go into be and command .80, even if it's in the samc ve cell as my previous .86 reading , i will get around .80. i have little idea what the led gauge says. try this.

1.in your eio input 1, insert your wide band as volts/10.42+0.62 call it actuall lambda.
2.then make a pid for commanded lambda with [PID.6001]/14.68 wher pid6001 is your afr hi res and 14.xxx is your stoich afr.
3.is make another pid for lambda error 100*([AUX.20121]-[USER.9006])/[USER.9006] where the aux is your eio input in lambda, user 9006 is your commanded lambda.
put them all in your table
4. you can then make a histogram with the plotted pid lambda error , top axis rpm and row axis your map

this will give you all of the units in lambda to plot independant of your fuel type.
Attached Thumbnails How do I know if wide band is right?-histo1.jpg   How do I know if wide band is right?-histo2.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Using the logging software command a 12:0 AFR in the scanner tool and see how the wideband reacts.

Ryan

Quick Reply: How do I know if wide band is right?