Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a HPT to EFI Live?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting a HPT to EFI Live?

Is there software or is it even possible to get a tune done on HP Tuners swapped over to EFI Live.

I'm only asking because I can get the exact tune I need that is in HPT format but I have all the software for EFI Live on my laptop. I'm not a tuner I just like the ease of being able to load and unload my tunes myself and I've always used EFI Live.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would need someone with HPT to flash it in the PCM then read it out with EFI Live.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You would need someone with HPT to flash it in the PCM then read it out with EFI Live.
So if it's already loaded on to a PCM my EFI Live would be able to pull the tune off of it? Damn I hope I'm reading that right!!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it doesn't have a HPT custom OS applied you should be able to just read it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup that should do it, just like flashing a diablosport tune onto the PCM and then reading it with HPT.

When I switched over from the handheld tuner to HPT I just continued building off of the handheld tune in my newly aquired HPT. I did not want to start off from scratch, so I just adjusted what the handheld did.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1

If the PCM is not locked and if the tune is not a custom os.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Worst case is if you can't read the tune because its a custom HPT OS. You can transpose the tables from HPT manually. EFI LIVE has the conversion tab feature to help out with switching the tables axis.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome info guys, thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

I found this thread searching so I guess I will ask here. Which is better, HPT or EFI Live and why? Thank you.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z500HP
I found this thread searching so I guess I will ask here. Which is better, HPT or EFI Live and why? Thank you.

Here's what I've been told, and I'm sure you are going to get a mixture of responses here. I'm gonna try and take the high road on this one.

HPT - More user friendly, better for the novice tuner (if that's even possible)

EFI Live - More ability to tune the vehicle down to the gnats ***

From what I've seen both have awesome capabilities but you asked and now I'm ducking for cover
Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Here's what I've been told, and I'm sure you are going to get a mixture of responses here. I'm gonna try and take the high road on this one.

HPT - More user friendly, better for the novice tuner (if that's even possible)
Add to this

Lower cost
Up to 4 licenses off the bat as compared to 2 with efi
Real Time tuning using the stock pcm on most 99-04 LS1 applications
Supports more GM vehicles not even to mention FORD tuning & we are currently in beta accepting DODGE reads using our software all done with just one interface
compare different operating systems against each other
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
EFI Live - More ability to tune the vehicle down to the gnats ***
This comes down to the operating system in question.

We offer support for 1000's of operating systems more than they do, even alot of the ones they support we offer more tables for and for most others we offer tables they don't and vice versa. Thats not even to mention all of the tables we've added at the request of our customers over the years so to say they give more ability to tune the vehicle is all dependant on the application and even then I would challenge for someone to show me what we are missing that is absolutely necessary to make for a good tune and could show you dozens if not hundreds of tables efi does not have that we do for everything from E38's to LS1's to P12's, to T43's, etc. I'm sure they've had people request them but they seem focused on the diesel market while we have stayed focused on the Gas market.

But don't take my word for it, try our software for FREE http://files.hptuners.com/support/msi/DemoSoftware.msi

Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't listen to him, he's heavily biased.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z500HP
Before this thread gets locked (see the stickies), goto each of their websites and download/install the software so you can try them out (view logs, edit calibrations, read the pdf help files), get a feel, ask questions.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
Add to this

Lower cost
Up to 4 licenses off the bat as compared to 2 with efi
Real Time tuning using the stock pcm on most 99-04 LS1 applications
Supports more GM vehicles not even to mention FORD tuning & we are currently in beta accepting DODGE reads using our software all done with just one interface
compare different operating systems against each other
And to this, from a customer of both HPT and EFI LIVE.

HPT A box without any digital comms in sight, pathetic Black Box Capabilities, Ford support that is rubbish compared to SCT.

EFI LIVE Well a picture pretty much explains why a little extra cost is worth it. The website will cover the rest.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by macca_779
And to this, from a customer of both HPT and EFI LIVE.

HPT A box without any digital comms in sight, pathetic Black Box Capabilities, Ford support that is rubbish compared to SCT.

EFI LIVE Well a picture pretty much explains why a little extra cost is worth it. The website will cover the rest.
I'm glad your pleased with their hardware, took them several years to get alot of the features working, our next gen hardware is laid out as well

You're running out of things to complain about though macca maybe you should just sell the hpt and get a few bucks from it, that way you don't have to say you own it any more and get that chip off your shoulder. I'm sure someone here will be able to put it to better use than collecting dust in a box.

We've added about 50 Ford oak pcm operating systems over the last year so our Ford stuff can't be all that bad if we're having to map out a new operating system every week for them.

And dodge is now in the final stages of beta testing.

Hope to keep going head to head with you some more when you start complaining about our dodge software as well

BTW you can download the dodge software in the link in my sig if you want to look that over so you can get a head start
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bill, I was being funny, don't take it serious.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm glad your pleased with their hardware, took them several years to get alot of the features working, our next gen hardware is laid out as well

You're running out of things to complain about though macca maybe you should just sell the hpt and get a few bucks from it, that way you don't have to say you own it any more and get that chip off your shoulder. I'm sure someone here will be able to put it to better use than collecting dust in a box.

We've added about 50 Ford oak pcm operating systems over the last year so our Ford stuff can't be all that bad if we're having to map out a new operating system every week for them.

And dodge is now in the final stages of beta testing.

Hope to keep going head to head with you some more when you start complaining about our dodge software as well

BTW you can download the dodge software in the link in my sig if you want to look that over so you can get a head start
No valid retort as always Bill. I always enjoy replying to your posts. So how's HPT progressing on releasing comparable hardware to the likes of EFI and SCT.. Surely its less than 10 years away.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by macca_779
No valid retort as always Bill. I always enjoy replying to your posts. So how's HPT progressing on releasing comparable hardware to the likes of EFI and SCT.. Surely its less than 10 years away.
I'm sorry we overengineered our current interface so that it could work with pretty much every obd2 pcm so we didn't have to build a new V2 a year later like EFI had to do...maybe you are just bitter about that lol

Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Launching!

I'm sorry we overengineered our current interface so that it could work with pretty much every obd2 pcm so we didn't have to build a new V2 a year later like EFI had to do...maybe you are just bitter about that lol

I'm not sure how that is a fair response. Functionality wise the HPT solution is closer to the EFILive V1 anyway.