Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

qustions about autotap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default qustions about autotap

Im thinking about ordering "Autotap EFIPro V5 with bidirectional Controls" for my 98 Z28. What are the do's and dont's, etc..
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Autotap and EFILive are like Toyota and Chevy. Sure in some places one dealer sells both, but they are iundependant products - in the USA the Autotap people distribute EFILive, for it's made in New Zealand. Of course V5 is obsolete now, replaced by V6, and as a LS1 based scan tool, it is as good as you can get short of a GM TechII tool.

I don't know what more to offer, I suggest you scan their website at www.efilive.com and decide for yourself. There are also some great new products on the way , so now is a good time to get familiar with them.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bi directional controlls are not permanent, once you unplug the computer they go away, they may come in handy for finding a faulty injector(individual injector turn off), the manual fan turn on comes in hand if you run the car hard and then park w/ the engine running while your still logging, you can pump the air, you can make fuel and spark maps just for experamental purposes but you'd need ls1 edit to make them permanent(I still havent quite figured out the fuel and spark maps), you can run in closed or open loop, temp. turn off skip shift and traction controll, you can adjust idle speed and iac counts, but all of this is temporary, look up all the other controlls on the site, I cant remember them all right now, if you have the extra $$ to burn then get the pro, if not the reg. efi live, and auto tap is seperate from efi live, thats more $$$ you have to spend......
Old 02-20-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both. I like EFI Live Pro better. Easier to use, connects fast, and I think it logs more data faster. I use the bi-directional controls to play with my idle and to also do other features that I can then transfer over to edit without flashing the PCM several times.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

hco2ss how could i go about getting ls1 edit if i wanted to do that in the future and about how much does it run?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

carputing.com is the only source of ls1edit. It is $550 for a single vin locked cable.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I looked at carputting.com I want to make sure i get this right.. you can only edit the computer about 4-5 times? or did i miss read that. sorry guys im dumb when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

"'you can only edit the computer about 4-5 times? or did i miss read that."
I think you mis read somrthing I have reflashed my SS 50-75 times and my son has reflashed his 5.3 100-150 times , they may blow next time but as of now no problems
good luck Johnny
ps: more you ask you receive