PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf calibration, in the PCM or maf itself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maf calibration, in the PCM or maf itself?

Ok this sounds like the most noob question ever, but I've seen a few 85mm gm maf's for sale and they say they have been tuned for ls1 cars. One guy has just a maf for sale right now and says it has been tuned. Don't you tune the PCM acording to what the maf says? The way they are describing it it sounds like they are tuning the maf, and leaving the PCM alone.

To me this makes no sense, but whatever, eager to hear replies!

P.s. I know slp sells 85mm maf's that are tear specific but those are calibrated with a different value resistor. It's not like they hooked the maf to a computer and tuned it, right?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a wide band and tuning software get any 85 maf and tune it. If you dont, dont mess with it. The tune in the ECU. The SLP one has a resister but I would not use one on my car without a tune.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
2TR
On The Tree

F* the SLP MAF. It's going to cost you more work than its worth.

Get the factory 85mm truck MAF (decent upgrade if you can tune), easy to do> copy the stock values for the MAF from a truck using the 85mm MAF using your editor software, then using your scanner/editor software dial in the new the MAF to support your existing mods. You can tune the lower (driveability) end of the MAF table without a wideband, but NOT WOT. Also seller is an idiot!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I mean I was 100% sure the tune was in the PCM but like I said I saw more than one for sale mentioning the maf was tuned, but they didn't have the PCM for sale so i was thinking WTF? Thanks for clearing it up haha.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TR
F* the SLP MAF. It's going to cost you more work than its worth.

Get the factory 85mm truck MAF (decent upgrade if you can tune), easy to do> copy the stock values for the MAF from a truck using the 85mm MAF using your editor software, then using your scanner/editor software dial in the new the MAF to support your existing mods. You can tune the lower (driveability) end of the MAF table without a wideband, but NOT WOT. Also seller is an idiot!
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I haven't heard of one guy yet that has actually liked dealing with that SLP maf.

The factory truck MAf is a solid upgrade and should be easy to dial in.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t/a98
Yea I mean I was 100% sure the tune was in the PCM but like I said I saw more than one for sale mentioning the maf was tuned, but they didn't have the PCM for sale so i was thinking WTF? Thanks for clearing it up haha.
Most MAF brands "tune" their products to make them perform OK with the stock tune. When they say "tuned" it doesn't mean the MAF was tuned by HPTuners or Efilive. It means the output signal was adjusted to match a stock MAF as closely as possible, so the buyer won't need a tune to make it work.