PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed: Intermittent hard start...

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Needed: Intermittent hard start...

Car: 1999 Camaro Z28 1le
Mods/specs: LS6 shortblock, milled stock heads, TR230 cam, kooks headers, magnaflow catback, 6-speed trans, stock computer, etc...

I put an engine in a car a while back. Everything is great with it....most of the time. The engine runs flawlessly. No knock, slight valvetrain noise(quiet exhuast with a cam), engine revs smoothly, no vibration, etc. The car definitley runs strong for a stock motor, stock air lid car lol. The problem is that SOMETIMES, it doesn't want to start right away. It sounds like the timing is 180* out. It had a cam sensor code when I first put the motor in, and my tach didn't work. Before getting a tune, we cleared the code, and all was fine (tach started working), but we I still had the hard start issue. I threw in another cam sensor since I had one laying around....no luck. Still does it.

This is what it does. As soon as I hit the key, it sounds like it's firing 180* out (like intake and exhaust backfires). If I KEEP the key ON, and try starting again, it does the SAME thing. If I turn the key OFF, then start over, it might start up like a normal car, but it still might act like the timing is 180* out. There is no rhyme or reason to when it does it. It does it hot or cold engine, hot or cold weather, etc. Everything is BRAND NEW with the engine. I might have to try cyling the key 5 times, or might fire right up 5 times in a row. You never know what it's going to do....

Any suggestions? I would really like to sell this car, but I can't sell it if it's acting like this. Car now has 27,000 miles on it. I have put just under 2,000 miles like this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a write entire <vs. a write calibration> with the same tune. See if that fixes your issues. Otherwise I'm guessing you have VATS issues.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It did it before tuned, and after tuned. I don't think it could be VATS since it cranks, and fires...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt..
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ttt..
Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will it hold fuel pressure in the rail?