Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Timing Twister shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD Timing Twister shutting down

Has any one run into these shutting down at high rpms. I was running my car at 6800 plus in 4th when the tach just goes to zero and the engine just shuts down. Scared the hell out of us when the exhaust blows up from all the unburned fuel dummping in it. I stopped the car and restarted it and it was fine till we hit high rpms again. It did the same thing. We are using the twister to add timing NA.

A couple of weeks ago at the track it did the same thing (I think) while on spray. It made a big boom out the exhaust while running in 3rd at 7000. I'm thinking it dropped out on that pass also.

I;m thinking its losing the crank signal.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

I have had this happen to me three times now after I installed my MSD timing twister.

1) First time it hit the revliimiter in 2-3 shift and backfired out the intake. I think this was a convertor slip on the 150. But not sure why I made 20 passes and it never bounced off 2-3 before.

2) Motor Pass. Car takes off and gets about 6000 then goes dead. Backfires through the exhaust.

3) Nitrous pass. Car left and same thing but louder backfire out the exhaust.

Never had the car stumble before putting on the MSD??

I'm retarding 4degress on 1 kit of nitrous. No advance on engine.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats basically what mine did this past Friday night. I even had the dials set at all zeros. Oh well i'll see if they will give me an RMA to send the pos back.

Disconnected it on Sat. and the car runs fine.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Let me know what they say. I'm thinking about taking mine back off since I'm having all the problems now
Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1le how did things turn out? My twister is been installed since May and it now pulls timing all the time. Had blue wire connected to nitrous arming switch ,red to switched 12 bolt,black ground. Had it set to pull 5* for nitrous but i noticed my car feeling like a dog when i gun (nitrous off) it so i set it to 0 and it feels way better. Also noticed the led stay on when i revved it. Is t possible it went out so soon?

Quick Reply: MSD Timing Twister shutting down