PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODBII port working now. Pls give some advise on this tune/scan

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ODBII port working now. Pls give some advise on this tune/scan

Background: A year ago, I put my Formula in my garage waiting for a catted Y-pipe so I can smog it. During the time, I discounted the battery.

After a year I finally got a catted Y-pipe put up and ready to smog. I hooked up my HP Tuner and trying to get a scan before I went to smog. It said cable was found but the data port was not found or responding. It asked me to verify there's power at the data port and the fuse was good. I was like WTF...

So I just went ahead and brought it to the smog guy. He said he couldn't get it smog bcuz the PCM module is not ready. He said bcuz I discounted the battery so the PCM is resetting. He told me to drive it for 1-2 day until the PCM module is fully reset.

After a good 70 miles drive with every gear holding 3-4k rpm and freeway cruising. I tried to hook up my HPT again, no luck. Same message telling my the PCM not ready. How can I get the PCM module fully reset? Is it possible there's something wrong with the ODBII data port? Thanx alot for the help.

Update: it's the fuse blown. Now it's working. I did some tune and scan. I changed MAF, VE and added 2* timing to the whole spark table. Can you guys give me some advise? It doesn't look quite right.

Mod list: Fast 90/90, Pacesetter LT, TSP catted Y-pipe, 3" exhaust.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
050211_test03.hpl (117.5 KB, 414 views)
File Type: hpt
dark_02firebird_stock.hpt (454.5 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by darknessxyz; 05-03-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Add to the above, my car drives fine and it pull every gear. The only mod for now is, FAST 90/90, Pacesetter LT, catted Y-pipe and 3" exhaust. I haven't get a chance to get it tune after the mod. I really want to get it tune and smog.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check and see if you are getting power to the port. Might just be a fuse.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

fuse.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, check the cigarette lighter fuse, it powers the OBD-II port.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are right, it's the fuse blown. It's working now and finally got a chance to give it a tune. After 3 hours driving and tuning the MAF and VE, everything still doesn't seems quite right. I was afraid it's running too rich now and will mess up the smog. Can you guys please give me some advise? Thanx a million
Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
You guys are right, it's the fuse blown. It's working now and finally got a chance to give it a tune. After 3 hours driving and tuning the MAF and VE, everything still doesn't seems quite right. I was afraid it's running too rich now and will mess up the smog. Can you guys please give me some advise? Thanx a million
Do you have a wideband?
First, tune the VE table until you get no more than 4% error.
Then tune the MAF. The more precise is your MAF tune, the best combustion you'll have.
It seems your car is almost stock, so the stock tune should get you thru smog. For now don't worry too much about tune, instead make sure your O2 are good and you have no DTC's, no vacuum leaks, no dirty injectors, no misfires, new plugs, good spark plug cables, no problems with evap, EGR, cats, etc. to avoid wasting your time tuning a problematic car.
Then tune idle and part throttle, drive it a lot and the readyness test will show complete. Do not disconnect the battery because the PCM will reset and the tests won't be ready.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've wideband but didn't hook up. I did follow a guide to tune the VE first then MAF. I did 3 scan run and adjustment to come up with that final tune. I was wondering why it run even more rich after the tune. What did I do wrong?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So can someone tell me what's wrong with my tune?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

I think your MAP readings are very unusual.

At idle you have too much vacuum to be real. Most cars idle at 50-60 KPa, your is idling at 30 KPa.
With key open, engine not running MAP should be from 75 to 95 KPa, depends on altitude.

You have 101 KPa peaks at part throttle. I have tuned several cars like yours and they never reach 90 KPa even at WOT.
I have never seen less than 50 KPa at idle, your motor can't be making that much vacuum.

You can start by installing a new MAP or checking what is causing that readings.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I think your MAP readings are very unusual.

At idle you have too much vacuum to be real. Most cars idle at 50-60 KPa, your is idling at 30 KPa.
With key open, engine not running MAP should be from 75 to 95 KPa, depends on altitude.

You have 101 KPa peaks at part throttle. I have tuned several cars like yours and they never reach 90 KPa even at WOT.
I have never seen less than 50 KPa at idle, your motor can't be making that much vacuum.

You can start by installing a new MAP or checking what is causing that readings.
Is there anything to do with the Fast 90/90?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
Is there anything to do with the Fast 90/90?
It shouldn't.
I have tuned a few cars with that and they were ok.

If you have vacuum leaks, you will have high KPa readings, but not low (high KPa=low vacuum). You have both too low and too high MAP readings, maybe a bad wiring/wrong sensor, etc
Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wanna bring this back up. I went to smog today again. Since the tech knew my PCM module had some issues, hooked up a snap-on and see if everything is ready to go. He told me the AIR system and O2 PCM self test didn't go through. I'll need to drive it more. I was like WTF? I was driven this damn thing for 130 miles already since I hook up the battery again.

Then I told him the AIR system is working every time I start my car. I only have the front O2 and I deleted the rear O2 in the PCM bcuz of the long tube. Also, my friend's Camaro pass smog at the same place no problem. (He had even more mod than mine. Mine is pretty much stock). He said that he can't do anything cuz there's 2 items didn't finish the self test. DMV only allow 1 item.

When I back home, I scan it with my own scan tool. The secondary AIR system and O2 monitor is incomplete. Now, I want to know how to make the PCM do the self test? It's very annoying and I need registration for the car.

PS: I've a 02 Formula. It has long tube and the AIR system is attached. The only mod is long tube and FAST 90/90.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't have any DTC and it drives perfectly fine.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone can help?

Search this Thread