Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoTap or EFILive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question AutoTap or EFILive?

Ok, I have my LS1 Edit now and have a handle on working it. Now I believe I need something to see what is actually going on with the car. What is the difference between Autotap and EFILive? Which one do I need for Tunning my car. I see that one is a lot less expensive then the other. And both are sold by Autotap. So what is the difference? Why is EFILive so much higher in price? Which one do I really need to work along side my LS1 Edit?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Efilive wins hands down. They are prolly phasing out autotap as EFILive is its succesor and is worlds better
Old 02-23-2004, 06:37 AM
Restricted User

Thanks for your support of EFILive
But B&B are not about to retire AutoTap. As far as I am aware they are actively developing the AutoTap hardware and software. AutoTap scans ALL OBD II vehicles - and they have scan tools for heavy trucks as well. EFILive is restricted to GM vehicles and specifically the LS1/LS6 systems.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Man this one isn't even a question -- EFI Live To sum it up in a few words, using Atap is frustrating, EFILive is helpful. Not to mention that Paul guy hangs out here a lot
Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

EFILive gets my vote.. Paul's done good with this one..
Old 02-23-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only place AutoTap is better, is if you want to
use it on multiple makes of vehicle. For GM LS1-only
use, EFILive kicks its ***. Faster/wider datalogging
plus being able to push some engine controls (Pro)
sets it apart.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Launching!

EFILive
Old 02-23-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

efilive for sure. It's stupid simple and the logging is amazing with the V2 interface. The V1 i hear sucks more (speed of logging?).
Old 02-23-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
Ok, I have my LS1 Edit now and have a handle on working it. Now I believe I need something to see what is actually going on with the car. What is the difference between Autotap and EFILive? Which one do I need for Tunning my car. I see that one is a lot less expensive then the other. And both are sold by Autotap. So what is the difference? Why is EFILive so much higher in price? Which one do I really need to work along side my LS1 Edit?
With EFILive you will be able to monitor everything you need to tune your car (and then some). The manual is exceptional. Easy to use and superior support if you need it - they have their own forum! It's worth every penny .
joel
Old 02-23-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the V1 interface, and while I can't do any of the pro stuff with it it is still head and shoulders above the Autotap software.. I can actually get some work done with it, rather than fighting to keep Atap connected
Old 02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Just wondering, What is the price diff. between the EFIlive and autotap?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seams like the EFILive is going for around $500 and the Autotap is something like $300 or maybe even less. I can tell you there was at least a $200 difference in price. What got me confused is the same place sells both here in the states and the place that sells them makes the cheaper one. Looked like a conflict of intrest to me. Well, from what I now am hearing of HPTuner, I wish I would have heard of it before I bought my LS1Edit. So far I love my Edit and it has ZERO problems, but it is going to cost me another $500 to be able to do with Edit and EFILive together , compared to what HPtuner is supposed to do by itself. Not to mention the fact that I am locked to one car with Edit. Heck, from what I have been hearing on the HPtuner and its price, I might just buy it instead of EFILive and just dump the edit all together.

I hate to have to be the one to bring it up, but it looks like Edit is going to have to do some serious upgrading if it wants to be able to compete with the new HPTuner program. I see no way Edit can sell once HPTuner is out.

So what do ya'll think? Should I go ahead and order EFILive today or wait for the HPTuner and get it while dumping my edit?

Please do not take me wrong, I love my Edit, but being locked and having to get another setup just to do Live Data is not very competetive compared to what HPTuner is supposed to offer.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to mention that Paul guy hangs out here a lot

That "Paul Guy" is the most patient person. Now that I think back to a year about the dumb questions I was asking him, I'm surprised he even answered, much less answered them all.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

I have both, but only got autotap for my other GM car... EFILive for sure!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

efilive is coming out with an upgrade to do tuning as well, with a good upgrade pricing scheme. Might wait until they make you an offer on your old gear for the upgrade.

If i paid $300 for eflive (non pro) then have to pay another $300 for tuning it might not seem hot, but i'll get the uber excellent efilive v6 ( i doubt anyone has come as far as they have on logging/etc) and tuning in one.

Not to knock hptuner, but their logging/diagnostics preview screens seem a little dull in comparison to efilive v6.3.. Its quite amazing how much you can do with live 6.3, and if their tuning is as nicely done as their efilive product, they'll have a weener for sure.

If hptuners logging isn't as fast/good/complete as efilive, i might not be inclined to use their logging.

Hard call but this belongs in a nother thread i think already in this pcm forum.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:35 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another efi vote here. i bought v5 pro and was thoroughly impressed to say the least, then i tried out v6 a bit and it just gets better. well worth the 300 i spent in the TR GP last year
Old 02-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

i thought on the website for efilive if u had the v5 you could dl the softwear for the v6 for free
Old 02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

on the v6 can you edit like u can w/ the ls1 edit?