PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

I have a 2001 pontiac trans am, and I cannot get it to start. I tested the battery and starter, and they are both good. I hear the starter relay clicking when I turn the igntion, and Ive even tried switching it with one of the cooling fan relays for giggles since its the same relay. I am not getting power to the ignition side power wire to the starter, aka the small wire on the starter. I know its supposed to get power when the ignition is turned to run position.Ive checked my fuses, and found no blown switches. At this point Im stumpt. what else is in between the starter, and starter relay that could be bad?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

It should only have power while the key is in the crank position not run. If you are hearing a click that means the selonoid is engaging. If the starter checked good I would do a voltage drop test and possibly make sure the engine isn't locked up.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Incorrect. I said the starter is not getting power on the ignition side so the solenoid will not click. The click was coming from the starter relay. The starter will have a hot side, and another hot side when the ignition is turned to the run postion enabling the starter solenoid to engage. Ive already figured out the problem, it's my VAT system disabling the starter. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but the information you gave was completely incorrect. To all that read this message and have the same issue check your gauges to see if the security light is flashing, if it is it is your Vehicle Anti theft system disabling your starter. There are only a few ways to fix this. One replacing your key, two having dealership reset anti theft system, three bypass in the Vat system.