Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 to 02 harness swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 98 to 02 harness swap

I swapped out my 98 harness and pcm for a 02 harness/pcm but I could not figure out where does the pink wire on the 02 harness go. Its connector c220 and its a pink wire, and ideas on where to put it. And also my alternator wire I was told to run a wire from the alternator to pin 15 and when i tested the wire I still get no power any ideas on how to get the alternator to run.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swoop1o
I swapped out my 98 harness and pcm for a 02 harness/pcm but I could not figure out where does the pink wire on the 02 harness go. Its connector c220 and its a pink wire, and ideas on where to put it. And also my alternator wire I was told to run a wire from the alternator to pin 15 and when i tested the wire I still get no power any ideas on how to get the alternator to run.
C220 (red connector) on a 99+ PCM is a green/black wire for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor??) Low Signal. AFTER THE SWAP, this slot should be occupied by a purple wire that came out of C171 (red connector) on the 98 PCM.

C220 (blue connector) on the 98 PCM is an orange wire for PCM battery. It becomes C120 (blue connector) on the 99+ PCM.

Your post concerns me because I don't know why you'd have a pink wire open unless you're speaking of C119 which is indeed a pink wire. It is Ignition Control Positive Voltage and is very important. Double check on that pink wire.

As for the alternator wire, if the PCM swap is complete and you're sure everything is right, the easiest route to take (for me at least) was to snip the wire that currently plugs into the alternator (leave enough BEFORE the plug, and put some electrical tape over the end that goes into the interior and tuck it away). I then took the end of the wire that goes to the plug that plugs into the alternator and soldered a long wire to it. So at this point you've got the alternator plugged in with the single wire soldered to a new long wire with an open end on it. Go ahead and wrap up your soldered connection with some heat shrink or some of that tiny wire loom. Now take your open connection and run it to the PCM into C215 (red connector) on the 99+ PCM.

You can make this a very clean setup if you try hard enough. This was the easiest route for me. There probably is an easier way, but this is what worked for me. I was able to clean it up nicely enough that you'd never know I ran a new wire.

Hopefully this info helps a little. Let me know if you need anymore help or have any other questions. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Brad

EDIT: I'M AN IDIOT AND JUST RE-READ YOUR FIRST POST... YOU SAID YOU SWAPPED OUT THE HARNESS TOO. I'LL LEAVE WHAT I'VE WRITTEN AS IT MIGHT HELP SOMEONE THAT DID ONLY A PCM SWAP AND NOT A HARNESS SWAP TOO. MY INFORMATION IS INTENDED FOR SOMEONE SWAPPING JUST THE PCM.

Last edited by edwardzracing; 05-25-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Ok so im guessing my biggest issue was the alternator was bad so i swapped the alternator and the battery out 4 a new one at autozone, and i took the alternator wire on the 98bcm its the red wire on c220, and I took a grey 5v wire from the 02 harness and soldered them together and now its staying charged at 13v, but is that high enough I have seen cars charging at around 15v is there a reason y mine is not
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Banned

13 is alittle low
Why did you use a 5 volt wire and not the wire from the PCM that is suppose to drive the alternator?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2xLS3
Why did you use a 5 volt wire and not the wire from the PCM that is suppose to drive the alternator?
Yes, I too am wondering this. You replaced the alternator, and then switched methods of providing it with an ON circuit. Did you try the C215 pin with the new alternator?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I did run a wire from the alternator red wire to pin 15 on the red connector and when I tested to see if that wire was getting any power It didnt appear I was getting any.So I figured the alternator was not receiving any power until I spliced a 5v wire and now the alternator wire on the 98 bcm does have power.
Also if I use pin 15 to run the alternator where does the red wire on my 98 bcm go to since that red wire goes to cluster I know i cant just leave it loose.

Last edited by swoop1o; 05-27-2011 at 11:33 PM.