PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird issue after turbo install.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird issue after turbo install.

The car is untuned. the previous tune was for an ms3 on 46lb injectors. I have not had it re-tuned for the ID100's yet but the car starts and idles fine. My WB is reading in the 17's but as far as I have read that is ok for idle.

The problem is that whenever the car gets to around 210* it just dies. Oil pressure starts creeping down and it kills itself. It seems to be temp related because I can let it cool off for a few minutes, start it and when it creeps up to around 210 it dies again. Like it thinks it suppose to do that. Then when i start it right after it dies it will start for a second and then kills itself.

I guess it really has nothing to do with going into closed loop since I wont allow it to with the o2s not being plugged in. Do you think maybe thats the reason?

I only have one code in there for the maf being un-plugged. since it will be running speed density.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

fuel pressure is at 60psi as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should be insanely rich right now.... first things first tune it before you wash the rings, second check for vacuum leaks
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Well if 17 on my wide band means lean then its lean. I don't think that its lying to me lol. I appreciate the input though.

Just a quick update. It seemed to only die in CL. So I plugged the 02s in to see what would happen. It doesn't die anymore.

My guess was its so lean that when it entered CL and the o2s weren't there to correct it that it just dies.

So now the only problem is that the idle fluctuates. It will idle, climb to 2k for a few seconds and then drop. It will do it constantly. Also when this happens the Afr jumps down anywhere between 14-15. Then when it idles back down the Afr goes right back to 17.

The tune was never on when I had the ms3. It always wanted to die and wouldn't idle correctly.

I don't think its a vacuum leak since when its idling it pulls 16" hg and the idle doesn't consistently hang there.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you just need a tune very badly. I wouldn't run it like that too much before getting it tuned. And if the tune was never right before, find yourself a new tuner and don't let the previous one screw with, and possibly grenade, your turbo motor.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Got the issue with the dying worked out with it dying. Im guessing because its so lean to start with that when it enterd closed loop with the o2s unplugged that it would die from lack of fuel.

Since pluggin the O2s in it will run. idle up for a few seconds and then drop back to idle. While idleing up the afr richens some and gets into the 15-14s. then once it goes back to idle it leans out again.

I have a smoke machine that I brought from work and found a small vac leak at the IAC as it was missing the o-ring that is suppose to be on it. That would explain some previous idle problems befor thae cam change and turbo.

After fixing that leak the afr is still in the 17s.

Now dont run off and tell me that its a vacuum leak because after fixing that I can pressurize the intake to 5psi with this smoke machine and I cant find a hint of smoke coming out anywhere.

Any options you can think of now boys?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes tune it.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need a tune. You have changed WAY too much to try and use you old tune.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Post the tune and data logs...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
My WB is reading in the 17's but as far as I have read that is ok for idle.

it creeps up to around 210 it dies again.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Overtemp tables? 17's on the WB is lean as hell and will cause it to heat up.. Not sure where you read 17 is ok for idle?? Whoever tuned the MS3 cam probably took a ton out at idle....guessing you're not running that anymore. ?

Search this Thread