Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfire problem

I've been getting a misfire code in the car. I autotapped it and found out that it is cylinder number 6. I can't find anything wrong with the wire and it seems to be connected right. The problem is, it is fine and then randomly it messes up. It seems to do it during the rain which puzzles me. It seems to me that something is getting wet and shorting out but I can't figure out exactly what and all the Atap says is random misfire. The current missfire just says cylinder 6. The car fixes itself. I didn't drive it for a couple days and finally got my hands on a laptop and the damn thing was fine then, I drove a couple hundred miles and a lot in the raina and couldn't get it to repeat. I though it was fine untill last night. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Could my coil be going out? I guess I'll go ahead and replace the plug and wire, but I wouldn't think the wire could slip off, then get back on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

plano 'eh? hi neighbor! where ya at?

could be several things. how old are the plug wires? could have one bad one. how many miles are on the car? have you tried swapping the coil to another cylinder to see if the problem follows? have you checked your plug/s? it could be cracked.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:01 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

-Sometimes- a clogged fuel filter will give the misfire code and light up the MIL. I've had mine running just fine and give the (PO300?) code, changed the filter, lost the code. These engines/systems like to see plenty of fuel delivery. Just a thought.

Also, a leaky and/or badly connected plug wire will sometimes give an audible misfire, especially when wet. A really bad plug wire will arc if misted with a spray bottle (of water), if you do it in the dark with the engine running.