PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! My daily is down. 2007 Silverado died while driving.. won't start now.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! My daily is down. 2007 Silverado died while driving.. won't start now.

I have a 2007 silverado with a gen IV 5.3. I was driving the other night and had the cruise set. All of a sudden it started to decel and came to a complete stop and won't restart. The truck is bone stock and has never hiccuped till now.

There are no engine codes coming up, I can hear the fuel pump kicking on, and I have gas in the tank. It did not spit and sputter or anything. It just powered down like it was remotely shut off. Ive checked multiple fuses and swapped relays around.

I replaced the camshaft position sensor thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help any. When I turn the key over I get a little rpm so that tells me the crankshaft position sensor is working. Something that is weird is it turns over, but doesn't even attempt to fire and after I let off the key the starter stays engaged for a couple of seconds.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does something similar to this sometimes. I still have yet to find the cause. Things I've tried to make it run again. Unplug the harness from the throttle body, plug back in. disconnected negative battery cable for a bit and reconnected. unplugged oil pressure sensor and plugged back in. same with map sensor.

I wish I could pin point the issue on my truck. It's an 07 as well but still a gen3 with 78mm tb. My buddy swears the issue is in the harness for tb...I dunno
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

My buddy has a matco scanner and we hooked it up. It really wasn't much help, but I do remember seeing something about throttle saying 18% when the truck was off and the throttle body was fully closed. That could be completely irrelevant or misinterpreted since I wasn't real sure of everything I was looking at.

Anyways it's hard for me to consider a throttle body issue the reason it wont start, but i've tried everything else I can think of so i'll give it a shot.

I have a friend bringing over a fuel pressure gauge. I can hear the pump, but just to rule it out for sure.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Something about it goes into a limp mode or somethin. Also could be the actual pedal assembly. Just throwing out things people have suggested to me and things I've tried. More often than not, unplugging, jiggling the harness on the TB has got me on the road again
Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 AM
12 Second Club

well I tried all the above.. Still nothing.

My buddy brought over the fuel pressure gauge and we put it on the rail. Turned the key on and the needle never moved. No fuel pressure. I can hear something coming on back there that I though was the fuel pump, but apparently not. It's weird how it didn't spit and sputter and it just instantly died with no warning.

Anyways as of right now I think I have it narrowed down to the fuel pump. My fuel gauge is still working so I would imagine the sending unit and system is still getting power.

Is there any pump I can buy and not have to buy the whole assembly. Similar to a racetronix setup that is plug and play, or even a racetronix for that matter? I don't need anything for extra power as this is just a regular everyday driver.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

Did you change the fuel filter just in case it got blocked suddenly?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

A common problem.. Fuel pump took a dump. I'd replace it w/ a new DELCO assy..[So many problems w/ aftermkt assys that my parts guy refused to sell me one. Sent me to the stealership..Went to the bag instead...
Find them at a much better than dlr price on the bag...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Did you change the fuel filter just in case it got blocked suddenly?
The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump module and can't be changed like a traditional filter.

A common problem.. Fuel pump took a dump. I'd replace it w/ a new DELCO assy..[So many problems w/ aftermkt assys that my parts guy refused to sell me one. Sent me to the stealership..Went to the bag instead...
Find them at a much better than dlr price on the bag...
I've ran walbro pumps in all my cars with no problems. My sending unit works great so if I could just change the pump itself instead of the entire module for a fraction of the price... That would be great.

Might be a dumb question, but what is the bag?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your kidding me, a newer chevy truck and the fuel pump took a **** on you. I cannot believe that lol. Only happens about every other day. Put a delco unit in it and be done.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Might be a dumb question, but what is the bag?".. E-bay, AKA E-bag, the bag.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your problem sounds exactly what happened to me yesterday, but in my Camaro.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ont-start.html
Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't waste more money on a whole new fuel sender unit!! You have to remove the fuel sender any way you look at it, so just replace the pump. A new pump shouldn't be that bad, maybe $75-$100, if it's a flex fuel, just make sure you get the better pump.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 AM

I am having this same issue with my truck, (same model as above). Lost all power last night driving, and now seems that the starter spins several times after the key is turned off.

I was able to start it for a short time last night, truck just seemed to surge and then died. I'm not really sure what I should hear from the fuel pump, seems all i hear from that area when the key is turn is a "click".

Is there a way to test/diagnose my fuel pump before spending $400. Also where can i find just the pump, not the sending unit.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Is there a way to test/diagnose my fuel pump before spending $400."

yep. put a gauge on it...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=kkslds;15001699]The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump module and can't be changed like a traditional filter.

Exactly, and that's why you see so many fuel pumps fail in these newer GM cars (not sure if other car companies do that). Very frustrating that my mom's 99 Grand AM went 301K miles on the original fuel pump but these new car's you are lucky to see 100K out of them.

In regards to your fuel pump, I'd make sure you have power back at the pump before you buy one.....just to be sure. I think you'll have to be cranking the engine to get power back there, not just by turning the key on.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

"something about throttle saying 18% when the truck was off and the throttle body was fully closed."
KOEO, that's OK. It's set as the IAC to start the engine. Once you do get it to start, it'll drop.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 PM

Default Urgent need advice please

i have a 2007 chevy 4 door full size 1500 5.3 went out to it one morning it would not start appeared to be blowing the fuel module fuse i purchased a new module an now the fuel pump will not come on i checked the relay i have power on one leg even when key is turned of i also have power on the module fuse with key off i have power on the pcm fuse when the key is turned on only but i have no power on the number 21 20 amp fuel pump fuse key on or off does anybody have any ideal whats going on with the truck i have no power at the fuel pump is there a kick switch safety switch on it anyweres like a ford ?????
Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 PM

i have a 2007 chevy 4 door full size 1500 5.3 went out to it one morning it would not start appeared to be blowing the fuel module fuse i purchased a new module an now the fuel pump will not come on i checked the relay i have power on one leg even when key is turned of i also have power on the module fuse with key off i have power on the pcm fuse when the key is turned on only but i have no power on the number 21 20 amp fuel pump fuse key on or off does anybody have any ideal whats going on with the truck i have no power at the fuel pump is there a kick switch safety switch on it anyweres like a ford ?????

Quick Reply: Help! My daily is down. 2007 Silverado died while driving.. won't start now.