Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning the dreaded 98 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning the dreaded 98 PCM

I have a hc e85 98 Vette. I have been having random issues w the map not showing up, the Maf showing bad and I know for sure the right front o2 comming on and off line but not always throwing codes for any of these issues. We have tuned the car to 12.5 in 4th gear yet when I do a pull and row though the gears at WOT it stays in the 11's. Drivability is inconsistent and I can tell when the o2 starts acting up. I have changed the o2's mult times w new Bosh o2's I have found and checked and re grounded 3 of the 4 grounds around the pcm. MY next step is to check continuity on the pcm grounds as well. Any other ideas on whats causing these issues?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad connectors. The female pins in the connectors tend to "spread" open. LOL Seriously though. It's a common problem. It's hard to tell, you have to look very closely at them. Only way to fix is to use a real small dental pick, and get in behind the little tang of the pin, and pull it closed, so it makes better contact.

Yours being 13 years old, I would bet this is alot of your problem.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Bad connectors. The female pins in the connectors tend to "spread" open. LOL Seriously though. It's a common problem. It's hard to tell, you have to look very closely at them. Only way to fix is to use a real small dental pick, and get in behind the little tang of the pin, and pull it closed, so it makes better contact.

Yours being 13 years old, I would bet this is alot of your problem.
thx for the input, Ill def check into that!