Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Octane Booster?

I have a 98 Trans am with a custom 93 tune as well as a few other bolt on mods. I was wondering if I were to add an octane booster with that cause any issues with the engine for the gas would be exceeding 93 octane? Any feedback would be great thanks. The tune is fully custom I do not know much about it.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The octane of the fuel is just the resistance to exploding because of compression, before the spark is applied. It is not as if lower octane fuel has any less energy than high octane fuel. You may get worse fuel efficiency and/or power if you switched to a lower fuel, because the engine will switch to a low octane timing map for ignition. However, putting in high octane fuel, like race gas, will not negatively affect the engine. It will not, however, be that much more powerful either, on its own. A higher octane will simply allow you to use higher compression ratios and/or boost, which would make the engine more powerful.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the help
Old 07-15-2011, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Adding octane booster is a total waste of time and money. Even putting higher octane fuel in your car "WITHOUT A TUNE" is a waste.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster?