Old 08-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM losing HP Tuners Tune?

Well here is the story... *summary notes at the bottom*

86' RX7 - 98 LS1 with 2000 PCM on HP Tuners
running for over 1 & 1/2 years now
Tune has changed 2 times on me now with no additional mods

I have worked on the car 2 times now and the tune was messed up without touching anything that should affect it whatsoever

The car ran fine and I dropped the trans to replace the Slave Cyliner, then started running lean.

Didn't go back for a retune just yet, drove the car for probably 1 month just cruising around

Now I have an oil leak and ended up replacing the Rear Main Seal & Oil Pressure switch, the car ran just like it did after replacing the Slave Cylinder before I started replacing these 2, now it won't run well enough with the MAF Plugged in to back it out of my driveway

Things that could have only changed the tune that I messed with would be cutting the exhaust then having it welded back up at a slightly different angle. Which shouldn't be anything that would make a substantial difference in how the car runs.

My Fuel Filter gets clogged every now and then, but I fix this issue when it comes back up.

One thing that bothers me, is that I sometimes unplug the battery for over a month at a time. Could this have any potential affect to my tune?

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before?

Summary Notes

Car ran fine before I replaced Slave Cylinder, Rear Main Seal & Oil Pressure Switch
Tune Started going lean after Slave Cylinder
Then replaced RMS & OPS, car will not drive with MAF Plugged in
Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tune doesn't change unless you change it. Something else is going wrong other than the tune.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would suspect a problem or leak around the MAP sensor since you were back there. I would also check for switching of the o2 sensors.

Leaving the battery unhooked will lose stored fuel trims but not the tune itself. It will just need to relearn idle and fuel trims after its reconnected.

It could also be possible the MAF is damaged or dirty and it's just a coincidence it occurred after doing work on the car. Could also possibly be a bad ground in the harness?
Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Forgot to mention that I will be cleaning the MAF today.

I'll check the harness to see if anything looks misplaced and such, I'll be surprised if this is the issue though since I only messed with the trans harness.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Well I cleaned the MAF and the car runs pretty much like it used too. Tuned for 13.0 AFR at WOT and my AEM UEGO reads 12.5-13.2 during WOT.

Still thinking about making an intake to break 350whp though.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad it helped, all it takes is a little piece of fuzz or something on the MAF wires to throw it out of whack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM losing HP Tuners Tune?