PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Codes

Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Codes

My car stumbles on a hot startup after it has sat for 20 mins or so. Gas mileage sucks. It gave me:

P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Range/Performance
and a misfire on cylinder #2(right next to the egr).

What's wrong? What do I need to replace?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Since these cars are aging, and many are being "tamperd" with - it is ESSENTIAL for you to list things as mileage, mods, any "messing" with OEM PCM code, type of use, and all that.

Hot start issues are rare on EFI engines, and a misfire may indicate something as simple as a bad plug or wire. EGR errors usually aren't something that will show a SOTP problem, and shouldn't have any relationship to a misfire.

Provide more info, and if you can read the codes, is there any history data there, too?
Old 03-06-2004, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Sorry for the lack of info.

On a cold start it runs fine. If you shut it off when its hot and start it right back up, it runs fine. If you start it up after it has sat for 20-45 mins, it will start fine and idle. When you put it in gear with your foot on the brake its fine. When you put a load on it, it stumbles and will eventually stall. Pedalling it has no effect. If you put your foot down it will carry on until it slowely revs up to about 4k, then it will clear up and rev to 5.5. It sometimes carries on for a little longer. Seems to be time dependent (switch to open loop?)

The car only has , Loudmouth, TBCB, K&N, Bump stop. I have changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter,passenger O2 #2, idle air control valve.

I had a cheap scanner plugged in and we did not find anything out of range. It rarely throws a code, but now its doing it more consistant. p0404 and p0302. I took the egr motor off last night and ran carb cleaner through it. Didn't appear to be gummed up. I will report the results today.

Where is the egr pressure/temperature sensor? Autozone said it might be that, yet couldnt tell me what it looked like.

I have done no computer modding to this car...
Old 03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Can someone please help me with this? I think its the EGR now, but I don't know a whole lot about that system. Is it all contained in the can with the wires on top? Where is the pressure/temperature egr sensor?

Any other ideas appreciated.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

since you have a code anyway, have you tried simply unplugging the EGR? won't hurt. have you pulled your #2 plug? if so, what does it look like? have you removed your EGR to see if it has any obstructions or anything that would cause it not to operate properly? you could also try plugging the EGR inlet in the intake manifold and see if the car runs better. ususlly though, a stuck EGR will cause the motor to idle like crap and won't affect the off idle much if at all.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I am still fighting with this car. Today it threw a new code:

P0412 - AIR Switching Valve A Circuit Malfunction

P0412 Secondary Air Solenoid Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the secondary air (air switching/aspirator) solenoid control circuit.

Would this affect how the car runs? Would it go into limp mode or something?

Please tell me where this is, what it does, what my options are.

Thanks!

Search this Thread