Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How forgiving is a stock PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How forgiving is a stock PCM?

I have a 5.3 out of a 2001 Silverado. My plan was to put the 5.3 along with the stock computer, manifold, and stock cam or LS6 cam in my mustang. I will probably use a 4l60e trans as well.

I have found a place that will turn off the anti theft, emissions, rear o2 sensors, change injector size, change cooling fan temps, and so on for $75(just a basic re-tune for Ls swaps).

The car has a turbocharged 302 in it now, I want to reuse the turbo on the 5.3. If the PCM was set up to run the the correct size injectors(42#s), and I used the mass air meter, and one of these;

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=6903

would the car run well? Boost safely? Will the PCM learn to compensate for the larger injectors and possibly larger cam?

I have a similar set up on the mustang now. The car runs off the stock computer until there is boost, then it locks the timing at where ever I want it. The MSD unit in the link is even better in that it has a boost proportional timing retard.

I am looking to make about 450-500HP and have nice driveability.

If this question would be better of in the Newbie section, mods please move it there. Thanks.

Jess
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No, you will HAVE to tune the PCM for the larger injectors and a cam swap.

A boost proportional timing retard is useless when you can properly set up your spark tables
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS6 cam is not going to be an issue. It is not but a small tic larger than the stock cam. The stock tune should have no issue with it. No it won't be spot on tuned for all out power but it isn't going to damage anything either. The injectors being tuned correctly are a MUST. They will not be compensated for in ANY stock tune. Yes you can get the injectors+basic tune+MSD timing controller to work...BUT for the money I would recommend you just send your PCM over to FROST for with the small list of modifications you have in mind. No guess work of how is the piggy back MSD box correlating with the modified PCM tune...you know it works on startup...Problem solved!