PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running rich and check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich and check engine light?

My engine light on my 02 zo6 flashes during crusing speeds. Ive had it do this when the #8 spark plug wire was burnt and i changed it. I hooked it up to a obd-2 and its not throwing a code just when im driving sometimes. Im not sure if this will have anything to do with this but my car runs dope rich at idle in the loop and its only seems to be like this on the rt side of the car ,on the right side of the tailpipe. But has been running rich every sence i bought the car the previous owner said that his tuner couldnt get the car to run any leaner at idle or it would just die. Ive replace all o2 sensors im not sure if its in the tune or another problem. I plan on working on it this weekend so any ideas where i should start to fig this problem out? Im thinking change all spark plugs and check and make sure mass air flow sensor dont have any recharge oil on it from the air filter. Any help would be awsome thax...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

So i just spoke with LG Motorsports and they told me that if the car has a S.D tune it will not change the fuel trim.. so know im wondering if thats my problem i need to get a good MAF tune and i hope it will fix this please chime in and make me feel better about spending the money to fix this problem.
I bought the car this way so have no idea who or how it was tuned. Im trying to back track and get intouch with the previous tuner.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd start with a download of the tune. [Hopefully, the pcm isn't locked]
Run some data logs.
Post both, and I'll bet someone will catch the problem[s]....
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

im goona get to my buddys and hook it up to HP and try to fig this out myself... i will post this weekend.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you buy this car from a guy off this site in texas?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't forget to check your MAP sensor on the back of the intake, and the tiny vacuum hose that connects beneath it. The MAP can flood your engine like crazy if it isnt happy.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SES light flashing indicates misfires - get a log of misfires for all cylinders when it is flashing and you can see which cylinder(s) are misfiring... maybe more wires burnt... or bad plugs.

One bank running richer than the other is usually caused by exhaust leaks - at idle, air entrained in the exhaust from the leak going by the O2 sensor will make it think that side is lean and add unneeded fuel...

Quick Reply: Running rich and check engine light?