Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my car driveable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is my car driveable?

I just got my new engine running. The vette has got alot of mods done to it, but I think I have found the best choice of injector (i hope). I need to drive the car about 200 or so miles to the best tuner option I have...I want to be able to drive the car there instead of having it towed.

How safe would it be to baby the throttle 200 miles with this set up without a tune....

-stock 6.0L block, LS6 intake
-racetronix fuel pump, brand new 35lb. bosch injectors
-milled 317 heads, 219/227 .614 112 LSA cam
-Vararam, long tubes, BB TriFlo, fake cats, rear o2 delete
-stock 1998 PCM, 6spd
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont put the injectors in till u get there. Get a wide band o2 sensor and keep an eye on the air/fuel ratio. Stay at low throttle low rpm u might be ok. If you want to drive get the o2. It would be bad to hurt the new motor.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Dont put the injectors in till u get there. Get a wide band o2 sensor and keep an eye on the air/fuel ratio. Stay at low throttle low rpm u might be ok. If you want to drive get the o2. It would be bad to hurt the new motor.
ok, keep my stock 28lb injectors in and install a wideband...

Do I have any other options if it runs very lean? I am really not wanting to tow it...thanks!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A tow is always cheaper than a new motor. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but I have a small trailer (just big enough to fit my car on) and a bunch of buddies with trucks. You can find trailers good enough on CL for cheap. Mine was only $200. Just make sure you strap the car down correctly. If you have a wideband though and your AFR is good, then you're all good.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kdick91
A tow is always cheaper than a new motor. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but I have a small trailer (just big enough to fit my car on) and a bunch of buddies with trucks. You can find trailers good enough on CL for cheap. Mine was only $200. Just make sure you strap the car down correctly. If you have a wideband though and your AFR is good, then you're all good.
a truck is something i really need bad....unfortunely I've already paid more towing bills than I did for my engine. I will purchase HPTuners before I pay for another low-boy.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about asking your Tuner for a Mail-Order-Tune to allow you to safely drive the Car to him/her to be dialed in on the Dyno?

I know Frost will take the cost of the Mail-Order-Tune off the Price of a Dyno Session if both are acquired through his shop. Maybe your Tuner would be willing to do the same, so that you aren't having to spend more cash to obtain the same results.

I would still drive your Vette conservatively on the trip there, but your Tuner should be able to come up with a Tune that will get you in the Ballpark, without needing to have the vehicle in front of him/her.

Other than that, I agree with kdick91. I would hate to see all my time, money, and effort getting a powerplant put together be destroyed just as its coming to completion by taking an unnecessary risk.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mumbles; 10-01-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the stock injectors in it till you get there (don't even start it up with bigger injectors before the tune) and stay out of the throttle - no WOT - and you will be fine. It will run a little richer with the new fuel pump, but not enough to hurt anything... the bigger injectors without a tune for them will cause it to run very rich and can wash the cylinders when you first start it and it is in open loop...