Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive comes in to soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive comes in to soon

Just got my car re-tuned. the tune was tweeked slighly and added another 20 HP, so no big changes were made. One change was I went from 26" tall tire to 28. now my car shifts to overdrive at about 40 MPH which is to early in my opinion. if your just easing into it on the interstate not much of a problem, but if your under half throttle acceleration the car really bogs when it goes into overdrive, and if your cruising round 45ish the car lugs like a manual in to high a gear. Above 50 runs fine. All other shifts are great. I had this problem when I switched gear ratio and had it tuned out. I now have HP tuners so I was wondering if I could tune it out. Keep in mind I am new to HP tuners.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Take a look at the part throttle shift speed table under the transmission menu. You can set the shift speed to whatever you want versus throttle percentage using those.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this spreadsheet very helpfull http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=246653
Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...tm-w-pics.html

This will help get your shift points right.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

find out what wire off pcm is controlling the overdrive and cut it out of pcm and wire to a toggle switch and control it urself hell on pcm a buddy of mine did his and mine and its nice n easy to just hit the toggle on n off at will
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverstreak98maro
find out what wire off pcm is controlling the overdrive and cut it out of pcm and wire to a toggle switch and control it urself hell on pcm a buddy of mine did his and mine and its nice n easy to just hit the toggle on n off at will
Yeah, go backwards in technology about 30 years... uh, no!

OP - it can easily be tailored to shift where you want it. There are some helpful posts above...
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Yeah, go backwards in technology about 30 years... uh, no!

OP - it can easily be tailored to shift where you want it. There are some helpful posts above...
hows that going backwards lets hear it so ur telling me my 02 mazda dd is 30yrs old lol it has push button on shifter to turn od off same principle we did to camaro n alot nicer to cruise in and around town with out the annoying in n out on the overdrive n wen im over 50 i hit it on n boom its there so still wondering how thats 30yrs backwards so explain urself instead of running at the jaws!!!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Why would you go to a toggle switch that you have to constantly turn on and off every time you stop and go, when you can take a few minutes with a laptop to tailor the shift point throughout the throttle range to do it automatically? Do you have to use the button to shift your Mazda into overdrive every time? No... it is there to disable the overdrive in conditions when you don't want it, such as slippery roads or hills... but when you do want it, the computer shifts it at the proper point.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good god

OP, the tables will allow you to custom tailor your automatics shifting parameters. Or just drop it in D during lower speed driving where it is posing a problem.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

ha that is backwards since it takes 30 seconds to change the TCC table and 25 seconds to rewrite it in the pcm.and if i dont want my Converter to lock i hit the Tow/haul button/Performance button that was also tailored to my liking Via the TCC tables.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camaroz28lt1at
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...tm-w-pics.html

This will help get your shift points right.
really good info thanks i was having similar issue.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Launching!

The write up from Coolaid was very good, best article I've read on this subject and I thought I had it figured out. But like I said, I just got the HPTuners and am not that proficient with it yet. I understand what he did but, when I tried to copy my data from the WOT shift speed 100 boxes into the Shift speed vs TPS vs Shift normal 100 boxes the only boxes that changed were the 100. how do you figure out what the others would be (94,87,75, etc). I kinda see that he subtracted the same amount of change to some of the lower boxes, but how do you figure that out? Could I just play with the 3 to 4 shift , because that's the only problem I'm having.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah you can just play with 3-4 shift till you get it where you want it.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camarorat
The write up from Coolaid was very good, best article I've read on this subject and I thought I had it figured out. But like I said, I just got the HPTuners and am not that proficient with it yet. I understand what he did but, when I tried to copy my data from the WOT shift speed 100 boxes into the Shift speed vs TPS vs Shift normal 100 boxes the only boxes that changed were the 100. how do you figure out what the others would be (94,87,75, etc). I kinda see that he subtracted the same amount of change to some of the lower boxes, but how do you figure that out? Could I just play with the 3 to 4 shift , because that's the only problem I'm having.
Go and download the excel spreadsheet that I post the link for above. Plug your numbers in cut and paste. I screwed around with trans tuning for quite a while before finding that and it saves a lot of time.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This will cause you to miss 1st and 4th gears unless you flip the toggle switch (and then you'll miss the other two gears instead)...

[ two solenoids control 4 gears, if you remove control to one solenoid you remove two gears ]

Edited.

Last edited by joecar; 10-18-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Lol yeah remind me to never let that guy near my car.