PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will a disconnected O2 affect the accuracy of wideband AFR measurements?

Old 03-09-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How will a disconnected O2 affect the accuracy of wideband AFR measurements?

Will you get erroneous results if the front O2 is replaced with a wideband A/F meter? In other words, the front O2 is disconnected while logging AFR.

If the results will be affected, will the results read leaner or richer than the actual AFR when the O2 is connected? And will the results deviate a lot from the actual AFR when the O2 is connected?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-09-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACCELR8
Will you get erroneous results if the front O2 is replaced with a wideband A/F meter? In other words, the front O2 is disconnected while logging AFR.

If the results will be affected, will the results read leaner or richer than the actual AFR when the O2 is connected? And will the results deviate a lot from the actual AFR when the O2 is connected?

Thanks,

Jim
If you pull the front o2 sensor and install the wideband o2 sensor then you will definetly affect the idle and cruise afr. The car will go into open loop so it may be lean or rich depending on the all the settings in the car. You would be better off putting the wideband o2 sensor in one of the back o2 locations. It will not affect how the car runs or the wideband readings.

Gary
Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The reason I asked the question is about a year ago a friend and I tuned the car with my MAFT and a wideband using the method discussed above. The final result was a 13.1 AFR, but I didn't think the car pulled like it should. Later I check the O2 readings at WOT with Atap; they were approximately 0.930 (I read that they should be between 0.890 to 0.900). This got me thinking that the wideband number was incorrect.

As for putting the wideband behind the cat, I thought I read on this forum that you always wanted the wideband installed in front of the cat. Although I could be wrong.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Gary!

Any additional responses would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 03-17-2004, 08:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The fuel trims will go to 0 and stay there so there will be no PCM control of the part throttle a/f via closed loop. The PCM will stay in open loop. This will not affect WOT tuning. So I suggest tuning for -trim cells with the the sensors in place and then do the WOT with the wideband afterwards. I removed my O2 sensors and tuned my car open loop because I run leaded race gas. I also locked my fuel trims in edit. The key is to get your VE table perfect so the trims don't need to do much. I'm working now on getting rid of the MAF all together
Old 03-19-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Mikey

Based on the fact that you're the owner of Rapid Motorsports and you have a car that runs 9's , I'll go out on a limb and take a wild guess that you know what you talking about.

Thanks again, you definately answered my question.

Jim

Search this Thread