PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will HP tuners tell me if cam sensor is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will HP tuners tell me if cam sensor is bad?

Looking at a buddies 01 Chevy 1500/5.3l. He was trying to help a friend out who was stuck in the sand, while pulling his truck died and now will not start.

Truck has 55 lbs to the fuel rail, and is throwing no codes and has spark. We threw some fuel into the intake and it seemed like it wants to start. So I'm thinking the cam sensor is bad and wondering if there is a way to check it using HP tuners, or does it have to be runnning for HP to sense the sensor?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will likely tell you, but the code has to be set first, and I'm not sure what kinda cycles the engine/PCM have to go through to determine if a sensor has gone kaput...at least not that sensor.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gen 3 engines will start run with bad cam sensors. They can be hard to start but will start. The PCM will try firing the plugs and if doesnt get a start will try again 180 degrees later. Once started it knows how to sync the spark and will continue firing on the correct stroke.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Gen 3 engines will start run with bad cam sensors. They can be hard to start but will start. The PCM will try firing the plugs and if doesnt get a start will try again 180 degrees later. Once started it knows how to sync the spark and will continue firing on the correct stroke.
Ya, I was just reading up on the camshaft sensor and what it does. Any idea if the a bad crank sensor is present, will we still get spark but no injector pulse? Going to pull my crank sensor out of my motor and through it in my buddys truck and see what that does. Also see what happens when we hook up a noid light.

Quick Reply: Will HP tuners tell me if cam sensor is bad?