Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and tuners and other add ons

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams and tuners and other add ons

So being new,I understand a tuner(usually HP) is needed for ALS! to LS6 intake swap because of the EGR delete, but is it needes for a mild cam swap or rear exhaust only (ct back). Seems it would be for cat forward because of any sensors and different header pulse, but how about cam shaft change if sticking to LS1 intake. I know switch to LS6 intake as many would say, but just trying to un derstand how sensitive the system really is to change. Just thinking LS and needing to know stuff. So can anyone help with the cam question.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

minor changes the PCM can make adjustments to itself over time. Large changes or several changes at once should be tuned. For instance, changing from stock manifolds on exhaust to shorties, while keeping your cats in place would not necessitate a tune, whereas going long tubes without cats would be a huge airflow change and tuning is definitely needed. Make sense?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I've seen, most bolt-ons can be done without a tune...though if you install headers as Duffster stated, you're leaving quite a bit of horsepower on the table without an associated tune, though I disagree with his "definitely" statement. Many people install long tubes without tuning without a problem...albeit it stupid.

Any cam worth installing will need a tune because you're changing the volumetric efficiency of the engine.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

So it makes sense to actually change the intake up to an LS6 intake if changing cam up too, so might as well use a tuner to make the most of the parts being installed. So what tuner do I use. Does it have to be a HP tuner cause I read a lot on them and that is hard work to get the most out of that particular tuner, also time and more time consuming. I mean I do want to do this right the first time, so pretty much have to buy a tuner,cam,LS6 intake and exhaust over a short period and install it all or continue to go back in an change the values on the tuner for each one if bought separately over time.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

HP Tuners and EFI Live are the major players. Some like the hand helds, and while I've never played with them, everything I've seen shows they're limited in the controls they have. GL.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Can the HP tuner be used to change the 4l65e trans shift points or firmness, had the trans rebuilt with better sprags and upgraded shift kit, but still not enough, could be the lousy rear gears that I still need to change up to at least 3.73,. Didn't know if I could by a controler for just trans only. Is there one available.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HP Tuners will do everything you need. EFI Live also.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

So is the Hp tuner a hand held(prob not) or do I use my laptop and is it fairly easy to do a basic setup then continue on as I learn more later. Also is there 2 different HP tuners.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No it is computer based. There is a standard and Pro version. Get the pro. Need to do alot of reading and research because if not done properly you can mess up your transmission or engine.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info on which tuner, I will start reading ahead of time, downloaded quite a bit on the Pro already but wasn't sure if it was the right one. Thanks. I finally kicked out the 63 T.Bird I have had as a project for 6 weeks, so now mine is in out of the snow to start going over the whole car front to back. Just bought 2 rear 315/35/17 Sumitoma tires from Nitto, a basic street tire with tread as Drag radials don't cut it up here in the North with crap roads.