PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XFI vs. Stock PCM on a hybrid turbo car...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFI vs. Stock PCM on a hybrid turbo car...

Want to do a turbo 5.3. Putting it in a G body. I want a speed density tune and the ability to data log and have a wideband.

If I use a Stock PCM I've been told ill have to get the following:
PCM around $200
Conversion wiring harness $500
Tune $600
My own copy of HP tuners if I want to data log $500
Wideband $200

Does that sound about right? That's $2000

I can get a complete XFI that includes data logging, wideband etc for $2500

Which way would be best?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

A wide band is going to be a separate cost either way, so you should not count that in the total cost. It won't come with any ECU whether it be stand alone or OEM. EDIT: Just saw your said it comes with the wide band... You still would have to pay for a tune with either system though. So that should not be added into the total cost.

I bought a 5.3 truck harness and PCM together for $100. I bought HP Tuners pro for $650. I am currently modifying my own harness and getting rid of all the crap I don't need.

So my total cost for being able to data log and tune was $750. That did not include the WBO2 sensor that I already had or the laptop I have to tune with, again which I already had.

I too was going to buy a stand alone harness for $400-$500... Then I realized I am smarter than that and I am more than capable of making my own from a stock harness. Especially with the instructions on LT1swap.com or one of those books that you buy on Ebay that has all the wiring info for $25.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

The XFI that I mentioned above comes with absolutely everything to run the car wideband, ecu, etc and includes the initial tune.