Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI live questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI live questions

My brother just recently purchased EFI live, and im wondering what we will be able to tune on this setup:

2002 Chevy 5.3l
no egr
no evap
no vats
Manual trans
just a basic stock 5.3l at the moment.

would i need to get Wide Band O2 sensors? i just have a set of new BOSCH bought from napa.
im just trying to see if it would be worth it for me to buy a vin license for it.

also, ive heard that without putting a cam in it, you can decrease timing at idle and get a lope that way? is this true? or is anything like this possible?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wold be worth it just to turn off all the emission codes for the things you removed. Also adjusting trims to get back in line will help fuel mileage. Then you can play with the timing some to get a bit more power and economy. As for taking out timing at idle to make it run rough just makes no sense to me. Why make you engine run like **** just to make it sound cool. Even at that it will no way sound like a cammed engine.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvvette97
It wold be worth it just to turn off all the emission codes for the things you removed. Also adjusting trims to get back in line will help fuel mileage. Then you can play with the timing some to get a bit more power and economy. As for taking out timing at idle to make it run rough just makes no sense to me. Why make you engine run like **** just to make it sound cool. Even at that it will no way sound like a cammed engine.
its already been tuned to remove all of the emissions and stuff like that.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 AM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dillon93dillon
My brother just recently purchased EFI live, and im wondering what we will be able to tune on this setup:

2002 Chevy 5.3l
no egr
no evap
no vats
Manual trans
just a basic stock 5.3l at the moment.

would i need to get Wide Band O2 sensors? i just have a set of new BOSCH bought from napa.
im just trying to see if it would be worth it for me to buy a vin license for it.

also, ive heard that without putting a cam in it, you can decrease timing at idle and get a lope that way? is this true? or is anything like this possible?

Thanks
What will we be able to tune? There is no specific list for each car. Literally anything you see before on your computer in EfiLive once you pull the stock tune is open for changes. Don't recommend you try changing anything but pertinent tables though.

Your Bosch sensors from Napa are stock narrow band sensors that the vehicles pcm can translate. A wideband is something totally different. You don't NEED to buy a wideband 02 sensor unless you plan to tune WOT sections of the tune. In my opinion YES you want a single wideband 02 sensor so you CAN use your tuning software for its full purpose.

Yes you can practically shut the car down to a fluttering trickle of cam like hickups (or blow it up even) using the EfiLive software. This ain't no handheld!

My recommendation: Don't touch anything. Go READ for atleast 6 months...then start tuning.