Sponsored by:

No power to my Autotap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No power to my Autotap?

Hey, all...

Finally had the time to install the new USB version and use ATap for the first time... but no luck. Software/drivers installation was fine, the laptop sees the ATap just fine. But... no successful connection on many attempts.

In a nutshell, there's no communication happening, and I'm thinking it's because there's no power to my ATap... it has an LED on the top and it's not illuminating. Reading the manual (yes, I tried) suggests that the cig lighter and the OBDII port share the same fuse... and my cig lighter is fully powered.

So what's wrong??? Any ideas?

Thanks much for any help,

Rich

'98 M6 TA, heads/cam/headers etc...
Old 03-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RW99
Hey, all...

Finally had the time to install the new USB version and use ATap for the first time... but no luck. Software/drivers installation was fine, the laptop sees the ATap just fine. But... no successful connection on many attempts.

In a nutshell, there's no communication happening, and I'm thinking it's because there's no power to my ATap... it has an LED on the top and it's not illuminating. Reading the manual (yes, I tried) suggests that the cig lighter and the OBDII port share the same fuse... and my cig lighter is fully powered.

So what's wrong??? Any ideas?

Thanks much for any help,

Rich

'98 M6 TA, heads/cam/headers etc...
Pin 16 is +12V on the OBDII connector in the vehicle, check you have 12 volts on that pin with ignition on AND off.
Pin 4 is chassis ground.
Pin 5 is Signal ground.

Pins are numbered like this:
(looking at the OBDII connector on the vehicle)
Code:
---------------------------
\ 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 /
 \09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16/
  -----------------------
Regards
Paul
Old 03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried changing COM Ports. I know that since I changed to UBS my A-tap uses COM 1 where as my LS1 Edit uses COM 4.

There is no reason for the change, but it is.

David
Old 03-16-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

An update: I tried plugging the cable into our other cars and still no LED. On closer inspection, the two halves of the Autotap connector's red casing had separated very slightly on one side... I snapped the thing together, and then jammed it onto my OBDII port on the Trans Am.... Houston, we have a light!

Communication is now just fine. Thanks for your suggestions...

Rich

BTW, NavyDavidSS, I grew up in Sioux Falls... small world!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RW99

Small world yes. SF still is its same sucky *** place. Winters last to long, spring and fall to short, summers usually to hot. Our track at Marion doesn't even open until April 24th . I guess it doesn't matter as it has snowed the last 2 days. The SS is all dressed up and no where to go

David