Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors tuned off

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors tuned off

I was wondering if a turner turns off the 02 sensors is that bad? And if why and will a car pick up more or lose horse power ? Just curious because my car they are turned off but the car runs awesome..
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigboy2
I was wondering if a turner turns off the 02 sensors is that bad? And if why and will a car pick up more or lose horse power ? Just curious because my car they are turned off but the car runs awesome..
You wont have any fuel adjustments on the fly, it is not necessarily bad but on a dd, I would encourage to re-enable them.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

And you are running on "closed loop"
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I think it's open just not sure.. The tuner said it like running a carburetor !! Just don't know if that's good or bad?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on why he did it and how good his tune is... if your exhaust leaks like crazy, then it would be better to run it in open loop with a good tune - because the exhaust leaks would make the feedback from the O2s look like it is running lean and cause unneeded fuel to be added... The down side is you may be loosing some fuel efficiency if his tune is not good.

O2 sensor feedback doesn't effect wide open throttle unless the car is lean (or false lean due to exhaust leaks) and in that case, the posative fuel trims would add onto the WOT fueling - this can cause the car to be overly rich under WOT and that can cause the car to be a dog and down on power...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

The installer said that the 02 where giving him a fit so I guess that's the reason he turned them off... I notice when we where tuning it the other day he turn them on and the car started bucking and then cut off.... So I doesn't get good gas mileage but it runs good and with the wide band on it it runs around 13-14+ at cruising and light acceleration. Under wot it's good around 12.5 or so!!! It has a small surge at idle now which isn't bad but I will get him to maybe work that out later.i just want to make sure that they won't hurt the motor not being on... Thanks for your advise !!!!!!

Last edited by bigboy2; 12-04-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For open loop tunes I leave the 02's off on 99-02 f- body's
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have him provide you with a copy of the tune to post here for review...Though there are reasons a tuner could leave the car in "open loop" (02's not active), it is rare. I'll review the tune and tell you if he if he's even on the right track or as I suspect not doing anything right and full 'O ****.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

I can ask him but I know it's going to be tough because he doesn't return calls or texts unless my engine installer gets a hold of him and he lives around the corner form me!!!! I give it a shot..
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Just had my car on the dyno this past week and made good power but now the car surges and doesnt want to idle. I tried to stall it up on the converter and it acts like it did when my o2 sensors when out.. somehting just doesnt seem right.... no smoke it also developed a cold start problem where you have to give it gas for about 1 min or so then it would idle on its own.... does this sound like a tuning issue or something else? It is closed loop set up....