Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners MPVI Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Tuners MPVI Box

I was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what function the MPVI serves, the box itself looks like : http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/hptuner1.jpg

I'm sure you've all seen it before. The reason I ask is I'm working on a personal project and was wondering if it's basically a serial to USB converter box or if it does more than that. Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never owned HP tuners or had a chance to look at it before in person.

Also, does anyone make an OBD2 to USB cable that would NOT need to be converted to serial somewhere in line? I used to tune OBD1 cars with an OBD1 to USB cable and that worked great.

thanks!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

did a bit more research since i'm a newbie to these things and I didn't realise that my old OBD1 stuff was a basic level shifting device. They are UART based. OBD2 is J1850 or GM class 2 iteration. I think as of '06 GM uses GM-Lan which is CAN based. My bad I didn't realize that OBD1 and OBD2 differed greatly so I can see why the black-boxes are required now. I'm still interested in any data regarding these if anyone knows more about the innerworkings!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...i know this is older....

any more info on this??? any way to hard wire some sort of usb cable to the car?

guess the point of my question is...i have hptuners...buddy owns a shop and uses it frequently...i have the software...any way to use hptuners without the cable? anyone done it?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no way to use HPT without the MPVI, the scanner software always checks for the HPT box before doing anything
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mpvi interface also stores all your credits and licenses.

If you're big pimpin like me and have the mpvi pro it can datalog non auxiliar parameters without a laptop
Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Teching In

For future reference if anyone is interested in DIY pcm projects I've got more detailed info on this TGO thread, along with another member there.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...d-diy-ls1.html

Quick Reply: HP Tuners MPVI Box