Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensors..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knock sensors..

is it possible to tune down the sensitivity of LS1 knock sensors???

thanx in advance...
Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes? no? anyone?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

There is some opinion (search for false knock or kr or etc) that the knock sensors on the 98 cars are oversensitive... and that many '98s will show KR regardless of true lean/rich condition. My car has been on the dyno with a wideband confirming true A/F... even with some high-octane race gas, there was always 4 degrees of KR.

When I put a new intake on I'm gonna replace the knock sensors with some from later year ls1.

Good luck,

Rich
Old 03-15-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

go take a crowbar and rap your headers while logging efilive, stock sensitivity you should see some KR. yeah banging pacesetters will throw KR, i've seen it on my car.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samz28
go take a crowbar and rap your headers while logging efilive, stock sensitivity you should see some KR. yeah banging pacesetters will throw KR, i've seen it on my car.

this kind of gives me hope that maybe my motor isnt actually screwed up....

thanx for the info. as for my original question....can the sensors be "tuned" down with LS1Edit or something or do i need to replace them if i am getting KR???
Old 03-15-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

good question.my main trouble was misfires from the cam (flashing SES at idle). I had that turned down by the turner, it helps cause a misfire or three unlocks a verter making an unpleasant unlocked driving experience.

I'm not sure if he desensitized the KR. I've only heard of the misfire sensitivity which is totally different.

I know i was logging the other day, warm 70F afternoon and ECT's up in the 185's (160T) and i saw 0KR with 30.5 timing at 6000rpm. Most of the KR i saw was 0.1 at part throttle and i believe its due to (pacesuckahs) rattling a little still.

try the ls1edit tuning forum m8. I'm stil waiting for hptuners/efilive to come out to tune my own shiz, till then i'm reading all the forums, learning the "Tricks of the trade", and listening to the tuner that did my car.

Eventually you just gotta get tune your own shiz, can't be bothering the original tuner for stupid things like shiftpoints etc all the time. They got better things to do.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 Edit v1.3,1.4-> Engine-> Ignition-> KnockDetection-> Noise Level

Try raising the values to reduce sensitivity. PLEASE report back here with what you find. There has been much debate over this function and which direction will actually reduce the sensitivity.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx for the info....i had my car on a Mac Mentor tonite (professional A-tap type thing). i was only able to urge 2 degrees of KR out of it during heavy acceleration and only on 2 brief occasions so apparantly this isnt the problem i've been trying to fix....