PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many cell hits are you logging for wot pulls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many cell hits are you logging for wot pulls?

I tuned the bottom 1/3 of my ve using 50 cell hits required and doing mostly low rpm cruise speeds etc. Ive got most cells within about .5 to 1. Should I adjust my cell hits to say 20 for the higher rpm runs to tune the ve. turbo ls1
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribing
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

ive asked the question on another post on hptuners forum and one reply was that he didnt run any min hit filter.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC......from the Banish DVD, he suggests at least 5 per cell...then adjust tune file....but I'm not sure. It would be nice to know what others are doing.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The secret to hitting alot of info during a wide open throttle run is to only log the pids you HAVE to see. The less pids you watch, the more data the computer can spit out on the stuff you do want.

When im done with all the regular driving stuff, i will log
engine rpm
kpa
wideband serial
commanded fuel
spark kr
spark
ltrim
and a few others depending on need for that specific run, that allows for the info i get during the wide open throttle run to be alot more hits before the end.

Another trick is to allow a slower pull with an eddycurrent dyno. On ours here, i like to run longer dyno pulls, so the software can get a clean sweep log of the full run at wide as it goes thru the steps.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I follow the same instructions I was given from www.thetuningschool.com...

A minimum of 5-20 cell hits is recommended to leave out erroneous data. I personally use (5) myself before I accept the data as valid for manipulating the tune.

Even then I only update the tune in Editor software with (Right click...Paste Special...Multiple by % -1/2) so as not to overshoot in case something made it into my (5) hits. And I personally ALWAYS smooth the changes I made into the surrounding cells before loading it back in the car to continue tuning.

Considering I've paid $1,500+ to obtain my current "how to tune education" I find its important to follow along line for line when instructions are given from someone far more experienced than I am.