PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley dominator efi ,any good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

I would hate to depend on self learning on an expensive motor. What happens when your WB sensor acts up? Im not saying the holley system is bad BUT self learning doesnt take the place of having a correct fuel table or timing table IMO.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
I would hate to depend on self learning on an expensive motor. What happens when your WB sensor acts up? Im not saying the holley system is bad BUT self learning doesnt take the place of having a correct fuel table or timing table IMO.

when you get to the point where you are comfortable with your Fueling table..
you can turn off Learning all together, or partially, or just reduce the amount of learning...

once I'm close, I can easily tell it to only learn a max of 5% or only correct 10% or whatever combo you want...
and it can be changed to do different things at any rpm and any Manifold pressure sensor values you want...

it is a truly flexible system

also, when the wideband goes bad... it figures it out very quickly and disables learning immediately...I disconnected one of mine just to simulate a bad wideband to test...

trust me.... the Holley is not going to hurt an expensive motor...only an idiot user will destroy a motor
and anybody with an expensive motor who is going to do their own tuning, will already know what they are doing or will atleast know to set things up properly.

with my motor, I have turned down the closed loop learn and compensation limits now that my initial Tune is close...

minytrker, I just dont think you understand the power and flexibility this Holley system has.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
when you get to the point where you are comfortable with your Fueling table..
you can turn off Learning all together, or partially, or just reduce the amount of learning...

once I'm close, I can easily tell it to only learn a max of 5% or only correct 10% or whatever combo you want...
and it can be changed to do different things at any rpm and any Manifold pressure sensor values you want...

it is a truly flexible system

also, when the wideband goes bad... it figures it out very quickly and disables learning immediately...I disconnected one of mine just to simulate a bad wideband to test...

trust me.... the Holley is not going to hurt an expensive motor...only an idiot user will destroy a motor
and anybody with an expensive motor who is going to do their own tuning, will already know what they are doing or will atleast know to set things up properly.

with my motor, I have turned down the closed loop learn and compensation limits now that my initial Tune is close...

minytrker, I just dont think you understand the power and flexibility this Holley system has.
I agree. Using the self learn feature to dial in the VE is the same as using fuel trims to dial in a VE using EFIlive or HPtuners (Histos and MAPs), except with the Holley you can do the WOT too. I don't believe it was intended to be used as a long term crutch for a tune that's not properly dialed in.

The Holley system is very powerful. It is definitely the most flexible aftermarket ECU I've worked with.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played with the software on my computer and was pretty much sold!i had watched videos on tuning with hp tuners and was pretty over whelmed!im a novice with a lot to learn but the Holley software seems sooo user friendly and with the self learn fuel tables it was the only way to go!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Question Holly DOM EFI Equipment

Hey guys. Ok, so my question is this. I'm coming from a German car back ground and have had Electromotive Tec3's on all my stuff and did most of the tuning my self. This was a fully self contained system and did not use any of the factory harness to control the engine. I just bought an Forged internal LS3 complete from radiator to harness and I'm building a TT set up for a 67 El- Camino. With the Holly do you throw away the stock ECM and all the connectors plug into the Holly unit from the factory sensors or does the Holly Control the stock ECM and allow you to tune it with a very high degree of control. Like I said I'm new to LS world. I see the thread starter just bought a Holly system for an LS what all did you need to buy and about what did you pay? After reading a lot of good things about the Holly I am interested. But not sure exactly how it plays with the factory ecm harness if at all. When I spend the money to build a strong motor I like to have control over everything so this system seems Ideal. Thanks for any advice in advance. Also if there are other systems you suggest over the Holly - BS3, Accel DFI, etc. Please feel free to let me know.

Tony
Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tonyturbo42
Hey guys. Ok, so my question is this. I'm coming from a German car back ground and have had Electromotive Tec3's on all my stuff and did most of the tuning my self. This was a fully self contained system and did not use any of the factory harness to control the engine. I just bought an Forged internal LS3 complete from radiator to harness and I'm building a TT set up for a 67 El- Camino. With the Holly do you throw away the stock ECM and all the connectors plug into the Holly unit from the factory sensors or does the Holly Control the stock ECM and allow you to tune it with a very high degree of control. Like I said I'm new to LS world. I see the thread starter just bought a Holly system for an LS what all did you need to buy and about what did you pay? After reading a lot of good things about the Holly I am interested. But not sure exactly how it plays with the factory ecm harness if at all. When I spend the money to build a strong motor I like to have control over everything so this system seems Ideal. Thanks for any advice in advance. Also if there are other systems you suggest over the Holly - BS3, Accel DFI, etc. Please feel free to let me know.

Tony

Just throw away the stock pcm and harness...(or you can sell it to somebody else who wants it)
you buy everything you need from Holly...their harness with connectors
re-use your Stock Sensors.....plug and play

keep your Body control module if you have one...it does lights/door locks, interior stuff.
you typically will need to figure out how to get your gauges to work, or replace them with aftermarket gauges.

I dont recommend any of the other systems you mentioned... they are in the dark ages compared to the Holley system.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Just throw away the stock pcm and harness...(or you can sell it to somebody else who wants it)

keep your Body control module if you have one...it does lights/door locks, interior stuff.
you typically will need to figure out how to get your gauges to work, or replace them with aftermarket gauges.

I dont recommend any of the other systems you mentioned... they are in the dark ages compared to the Holley system.

Thank you sir. Just did a bit more reading on this PCM forum and I assume this goes without saying you think the EFI Live is a waste of time and should not bother trying to tune the factory PCM? I am going aftermarket gauges and not worried about my engine management system controlling anything but my engine and my Tranny. Which is a stage 5 FLP 4L65E. Can the Holly also control the tranny as well? Ok I wont waste anymore of your guys time. This should get me started and I can research the rest myself. Thanks again.

Tony
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 PM
8 Second Club

Thank you sir. Just did a bit more reading on this PCM forum and I assume this goes without saying you think the EFI Live is a waste of time and should not bother trying to tune the factory PCM? I am going aftermarket gauges and not worried about my engine management system controlling anything but my engine and my Tranny. Which is a stage 5 FLP 4L65E. Can the Holly also control the tranny as well? Ok I wont waste anymore of your guys time. This should get me started and I can research the rest myself. Thanks again.

Tony
there are no issues with tuning the stock pcm... but the stock pcm is very limited, and theres a lot better control by switching to the Holley System

the Holley Dominator can control a 4L6x or a 4L8x transmission
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a couple things I take issue with here.

1) The stock PCMs are very capable of making big power, and do many things better than any standalone, including the Holley systems.

2) The other aftermarket standalones are not exactly in the "dark ages". As a matter of fact, there are some features on some of them that I prefer to the Holley systems. Although there are some that are worse than others.

That being said, Holley, especially the Dominator, is one heck of a system, with a lot of growing room built in. It does have many features built in that the others don't, or the others have less of. Once they get everything functional, and make some improvements in some other areas, it will be hard to compare the others to them, if they don't keep up themselves.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Ed's last post completely.

The FAST EFI has a closed loop correction feature and I'm pretty sure BS3 does also.

Stock PCM's are also great at making big power.

If I was starting from scratch I would no doubt go with an aftermarket EFI set-up.

If you've bought a vehicle that is running and complete that comes with a factory ECU there really isn't any need to change it until you start wanting to run into the low single digits or just want the amount of control that something like the Holley EFI offers.

I do too also like how once the fueling is tuned in to your liking, bam turn the correction off, but leave your safe guards on (holley can shut engine operations down if voltage drops, afr changes more than a certain amount, coolant too hot, trans temp too hot etc. etc.

If anyone is really needing all the user configurable outputs, a way to control an electronic overdrive transmission, or a DBW throttle body the Dominator is the way to go with Holley. If you don't need those 3 things I mentioned and are using a standard cable actuated TB, and a manual shifted transmission(auto or manual) then the HP EFI is the way to go from Holley and is a good bit cheaper plug and play.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

I got one more question and I have looked around and couldnt seem to find it. Does the Holly system run the stock coils or do you have to buy the seperate Holly coils and run those?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
8 Second Club

do you people not do a search???

my self and many others have already stated...

YES IT WILL WORK WITH STOCK LS COILS

there is an issue when you get to High Boost(25psi+) and high cylinder pressure systems
but that is in teh works of being resolved right now... they have new hardware and a software revision for that new hardware that is in teh process of testing right now and should be completed very soon
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
8 Second Club

and sorry if I got a little snappy in the last post...
but people ask me for stuff all the time and a lot of times I can pull their answer up in the first few threads of a search on here

Just from Skimming...
every one of these posts I pulled up talks about how you can use LS Coils

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=16842509
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I didn't know anything about tuning and thought the Holley Dominator system was easy to setup. Im running an 06 GTO motor and I have let the computer do everything without manual adjustment and it works great, but im sure a tune would help. I keep an eye on the AFR meter, but other than that I give it hell.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

do you people not do a search???

my self and many others have already stated...

YES IT WILL WORK WITH STOCK LS COILS

there is an issue when you get to High Boost(25psi+) and high cylinder pressure systems
but that is in teh works of being resolved right now... they have new hardware and a software revision for that new hardware that is in teh process of testing right now and should be completed very soon
Look dude, Im running two business's here as well as trying to build this car, I did a quick skim and didn't see it, its faster to just ask and I can back and look later. It took more energy for you to rant about than to just say yes. Its so tiring when people get overly cocky because they have knowledge other people don't. If you dont want to answer peoples questions then don't reply on the forums. Its pretty simple.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM
8 Second Club

and sorry if I got a little snappy in the last post...
but people ask me for stuff all the time and a lot of times I can pull their answer up in the first few threads of a search on here

Just from Skimming...
every one of these posts I pulled up talks about how you can use LS Coils

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=16842509
Look dude, Im running two business's here as well as trying to build this car, I did a quick skim and didn't see it, its faster to just ask and I can back and look later. It took more energy for you to rant about than to just say yes. Its so tiring when people get overly cocky because they have knowledge other people don't. If you dont want to answer peoples questions then don't reply on the forums. Its pretty simple.

Dont get your panties in a wad......
if you see.. I already made an apology post for being snappy long before you responded....

its also very tiring getting 10 emails a day from people asking something that when I do a search with exactly their question....it pulls up the answer in every one of the first few results

typically Its not faster to ask ...its usually faster to read.
it will take longer for somebody to reply most of the time than it will to just read the search results
Most questions that people ask, have already been answered somewhere

Just because you run two business doesnt give you the permission to be lazy on here...
I work a 14-16 hr days most days, and I'm out on the road an average of 280-300 days a year...

we all work hard so we can spend our money on our toys

atleast I was nice and apologized for my initial response
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that said,I appreciate everyone's advice!my Holley dominator efi should be here next week,everything other than the trans harness!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I am almost sold on buying one of these. One question i have is regarding customer support. I have very good friend of mine who sells parts. Its his business, although small, and often times i will have to give him part numbers because he is not up on modern engines and fuel injection. His prices are SUPER CHEAP. And i would like to support him cause he is my friend and a stand up guy. SO, i would like to order a dominator through him. Problem is, if i have questions or install problems or problems after install, where do i go from there? DOes holley provide good tech support or will i have to resort to the internet? Being in Canada, this is a great time for me to take advantage of a larger purchase like this cause our dollar is strong right now. When our dollar is weak, it is tough to make a big upgrade like this cause the cost is soo much more. Hope you understand.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
I am almost sold on buying one of these. One question i have is regarding customer support. I have very good friend of mine who sells parts. Its his business, although small, and often times i will have to give him part numbers because he is not up on modern engines and fuel injection. His prices are SUPER CHEAP. And i would like to support him cause he is my friend and a stand up guy. SO, i would like to order a dominator through him. Problem is, if i have questions or install problems or problems after install, where do i go from there? DOes holley provide good tech support or will i have to resort to the internet? Being in Canada, this is a great time for me to take advantage of a larger purchase like this cause our dollar is strong right now. When our dollar is weak, it is tough to make a big upgrade like this cause the cost is soo much more. Hope you understand.
I bought mine thru a buddy of mine who owns a performance shop...
I've called in a couple of times with questions..and it was not an issue to get customer support thru them..
Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Well that sounds encouraging. I cant get this holley system out of my mind. It seems like a great upgrade as opposed to going HPtuners cause i dont have access to a dyno and tuners are few and far. I like the fact i can change a cam and go as opposed to having to hit the tuner before driving around. Or changing injectors for that matter. I cant wait to see what my friends quote is going to be. What is the typical price for a dominator with the LS engine harness and trans harness? Is it over or under 4 grand? Closer to 3 or 5 grand? obviously i realize some places price better than others

Quick Reply: Holley dominator efi ,any good???