Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The connector is a GM metri pack 150 8 pin

Tim
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
do you people not do a search???

my self and many others have already stated...

YES IT WILL WORK WITH STOCK LS COILS

there is an issue when you get to High Boost(25psi+) and high cylinder pressure systems
but that is in teh works of being resolved right now... they have new hardware and a software revision for that new hardware that is in teh process of testing right now and should be completed very soon
I wouldn't run stock GM coils with any boost level with the Holley dominator setup. I experienced issues with only 9 lbs of boost. I had the Holley dis coils but my tuner did not want to use them to save his life. To make long story short by swapping stock gm coils to Holley dis coils I picked up over 100hp. Not changing anything but the coil dwell time for the dis. I have heard they are working on this but Holley told me not to hold my breath. It wouldn't be any time soon. My .02 on the issue.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deion82
I wouldn't run stock GM coils with any boost level with the Holley dominator setup. I experienced issues with only 9 lbs of boost. I had the Holley dis coils but my tuner did not want to use them to save his life. To make long story short by swapping stock gm coils to Holley dis coils I picked up over 100hp. Not changing anything but the coil dwell time for the dis. I have heard they are working on this but Holley told me not to hold my breath. It wouldn't be any time soon. My .02 on the issue.
I appreciate this, the engine I bought was complete minus coils so I have to get them anyways. Found a local Holley deal who is giving me Jobber -5% on my system. Ill just get the Holley coils too. I was thinking MSD but you may have changed my mind. Anyone had any problems with the MSD coils?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tonyturbo42
I appreciate this, the engine I bought was complete minus coils so I have to get them anyways. Found a local Holley deal who is giving me Jobber -5% on my system. Ill just get the Holley coils too. I was thinking MSD but you may have changed my mind. Anyone had any problems with the MSD coils?
Also weird you say that about your builder. My dealer selling me my Holley setup is emphatic that the stock GM coils will work great with the Holley set up and a Turbo. Now I don't know who to believe.. haha
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the problem happens with Higher cylinder pressures... totally depends on how much boost you make...
I was told by doug...."The problem only happens with a lot of boost or real high cylinder pressure".
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Launching!

I was working with Doug also and sent him the datalogs and he confirmed spark issues with only 9 lbs of boost. He told me to swap out the coils with the Holleys that I had and man 100+ hp with major changes. Doug really helped me out with the tune when my tuner bailed on me.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Launching!

I have a fairly complex system. 16 fuel injectors, 10-71 roots blower on an ls based engine, e85 fuel. But myself and a new dyno operator figured it out basically on our own with help from Doug at Holley. So if we could figure out the dominator efi with this. It's a very good system. I'm sure we left a lot on the table also by both being rookies. Haha
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doug has answered every ? I have had also.

I had a bad cam sensor that was causing all kinds of issues he was able to work around it to get me going and I swaped it out later.

Tim
Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much are the Holley LS coils??
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for me, the harness made it just barely long enough to get inside my dash and onto a custom bracket that is made from the passenger side airbag holder...I mounted my Holley Dominator there, and my TCI 6x Trans Controller there

recently, they have added another foot to the Main Power harness...but its still not really enough to get to the battery...especially if you have a rear battery relocation going on....Just plan on buying wire and extending the main power harness.

Why are you using the TCI trans control if you have the dominator that can do it by itself?

Are you using a dbw throttle body? Or did you just want all the non-designated outputs?

I had already decided if I ever go with an aftermarket ecu it would be the HP EFI because I can get it and everything I need harness and wideband wise for 1400 instead of 2300ish like you did. Reason being I don't need the DBW throttle body control, trans control, or all those outputs (although they'd be nice) and the price differential is too much to pass by.

The Dominator is still an awesome unit, and from what I have heard the HP EFI is the exact same computer as the Dominator it just doesn't have those two features.

I am interested to see your car complete and ran down the track
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Why are you using the TCI trans control if you have the dominator that can do it by itself?

Are you using a dbw throttle body? Or did you just want all the non-designated outputs?

I am interested to see your car complete and ran down the track
TCI 6x..... Dominator cannot control it...

Cable Drive...4150 style Throttle Body...DBW is not an option...and besides... I hate that **** anyways...

and you will see results this summer sometime....Need Warm Sunny weather, and I still need a few things for my car...
Need to get the Meth Kit installed, and I need to pick up a new set of rims and wheels, and of course, I need to get the cage in the car yet(but that is happening pretty soon)
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by bmf5150
How much are the Holley LS coils??
they arent Holley LS coils... they are Just Holley Coils...

about $100 each..and you need 4 to run a v8
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
8 Second Club

also... the HP will only allow for one(1) wideband.. the dominator will do two(2) widebands...

in my opinion...a second wideband (one in each bank)is a must have for most racing applications...
a street only car can get away with only one
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Just asked a local tuner about Dyno time and mentioned that I was going to use a Holley Dominator set up. This was his exact response.

"Why would you use that system? The Stock PCM is ten times better in all ways. Is this something you already installed?

R"

Why is there so many differing opinions on this ****. haha

Tony
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did u ask him if he ever tried the Holley dominator?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just asked a local tuner about Dyno time and mentioned that I was going to use a Holley Dominator set up. This was his exact response.

"Why would you use that system? The Stock PCM is ten times better in all ways. Is this something you already installed?

R"

Tony
It would be interesting to see why he feels that way.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
8 Second Club

R"

Tony

your Local "Tuner" is either an idiot or not really a tuner...
there isnt a single thing that I can think of in the holley that the stock pcm can do better...
there are things the holley doesnt do that the stock pcm does do...controlling a stock gauge cluster...and doing anti-theft(VATS)...
but that is all I can think of...

as far as Fueling/Spark/Idle... the Holley does a far better job than the Stock PCM.

I know with my setup, day to day would not be consistent with the stock PCM...it is the main reason why I switched to the Holley Dominator on my car

ask your "Tuner" what he thinks the stock pcm does better....and then Let us show you that he is incorrect...

heres a great example... WOT Fueling...
stock PCM cannot correct if you dont have the right fuel values in the VE/MAF tables
the Holley corrects instantly if you want it to, and will keep you within 0.1 of desired AFR...
My 1st few nitrous pulls with the Holley are a perfect example...I had to make a guess... the holley corrected instantly, fueling was spot on perfect even though I guessed incorrectly.

oh.. and does your stock PCM do nitrous control? Water Meth Control?

I can do a pull on the dyno with fueling nowhere even close to the right values, and the Holley will correct it for me.

at the track its deadly consistent(as long as I am as a driver)
repeatable results.....something that you cannot do easily with a stock pcm

I can change fuels, from gas to e85, without having to retune a bunch of tables...Just go for a short drive and it will correct itself...at part throttle and wide open throttle...

it can definitely be a set it and forget it system on a much more extreme setup than you can do on a stock pcm.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

your Local "Tuner" is either an idiot or not really a tuner...
there isnt a single thing that I can think of in the holley that the stock pcm can do better...
there are things the holley doesnt do that the stock pcm does do...controlling a stock gauge cluster...and doing anti-theft(VATS)...
but that is all I can think of...

as far as Fueling/Spark/Idle... the Holley does a far better job than the Stock PCM.

I know with my setup, day to day would not be consistent with the stock PCM...it is the main reason why I switched to the Holley Dominator on my car

ask your "Tuner" what he thinks the stock pcm does better....and then Let us show you that he is incorrect...

heres a great example... WOT Fueling...
stock PCM cannot correct if you dont have the right fuel values in the VE/MAF tables
the Holley corrects instantly if you want it to, and will keep you within 0.1 of desired AFR...
My 1st few nitrous pulls with the Holley are a perfect example...I had to make a guess... the holley corrected instantly, fueling was spot on perfect even though I guessed incorrectly.

oh.. and does your stock PCM do nitrous control? Water Meth Control?

I can do a pull on the dyno with fueling nowhere even close to the right values, and the Holley will correct it for me.

at the track its deadly consistent(as long as I am as a driver)
repeatable results.....something that you cannot do easily with a stock pcm

I can change fuels, from gas to e85, without having to retune a bunch of tables...Just go for a short drive and it will correct itself...at part throttle and wide open throttle...

it can definitely be a set it and forget it system on a much more extreme setup than you can do on a stock pcm.
He has a decent shop and has tuned a lot of vehicles. Some people are just set in their ways. I did ask why he thought and he hasn't responded yet but I'm sure he will. He is a hell of a nice guy. I do agree the Holley is a better system which is why I'm going with it.

Tony
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

He has a decent shop and has tuned a lot of vehicles. Some people are just set in their ways. I did ask why he thought and he hasn't responded yet but I'm sure he will. He is a hell of a nice guy. I do agree the Holley is a better system which is why I'm going with it.

Tony
I know plenty of "Decent Shops" that have a dyno and have done "Tuning"... that are light years away from being considered a decent tuner..

and I am not trying to say that the stock pcm does a bad job...because it does do a good job, just not as good as the Holley does on most things.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

also... the HP will only allow for one(1) wideband.. the dominator will do two(2) widebands...

in my opinion...a second wideband (one in each bank)is a must have for most racing applications...
a street only car can get away with only one
Damn...I don't need the majority of what the Dominator can provide, but I need dual wideband. That's an expensive jump for dual wideband.

Good info in this thread. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Holley dominator efi ,any good???