PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is probably a beaten horse.. BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is probably a beaten horse.. BUT...

Thinking of doing a 224R cam install. All of the local dyno tuners are long gone. for a car that has been re-tuned before for stock on 93 octane and cats deleted, is it possible the PCM can compensate for this cam? Obviously the car will need to be tuned, I'm not doubting that. but how long could it get by without it? Will a mail-order like black bear or PCM for less get the job done? We have one semi-local dyno tuning shop left, but IIRC they were over 500 for a tune.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll have better luck here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning-7/
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out lsx tune....frost is on here he could probably get you spot on with a mailorder tune...he is good
Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

crap, thanks blue, I thought I posted in PCM. Can a mod please move this for me?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

have frost do it. ive been running on a mail order for awhile now with my 228R. tunedbyfrost.com
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always love the chance to use this gif. lol

Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A mail order should be more than adequate, that cam has been out for a long time and pretty much any mail order place should have a good tune for it
Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC texas speed has alot of tunes for there cams you could go up in a cam probably and still get a decent tune
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I ran my TR224 on a bolt on tune for a couple months with no issue. You'll be fine.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Contact Frost Im sure he can help you out.

Why do people always spends all kinds of money on mods then try to get cheap on the most important thing, a tune?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Addict

Because I don't think lots of people realize that the tune deeply is the MOST important thing....
Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by minytrker
Contact Frost Im sure he can help you out.

Why do people always spends all kinds of money on mods then try to get cheap on the most important thing, a tune?
I'm not trying to cheap out on it. the nearest dyno tuner from me is 50 miles, and even TSP didn't recommend driving the car that far, there are others a little further out that are top notch for 350-400. and last I checked.. a mail order tune is cheaper than getting a car towed 50-100 miles, and also means It's not a priority so I can get to it later. It's a viable option for many people as a temporary solution, but I would never consider a mail order tune to be 100% unless it's done with data logging, and even then who knows. a good street and dyno tune is where it's at.

While were on this though, while talking to TSP last night, he highly recommended headers first. While I was against this because of all the trouble I had with header gaskets in the past, he re-assured me that it wouldn't be an issue with the GM multi-layer gaskets. At the time I just blew off the thought of it.. looking back over here I don't see many people having trouble at all.

Would 1 7/8" headers require a re-tune? My car has been tuned on the dyno and had all smog stuff deleted because at that time I did want the car to be long tube ready (guess I knew this day would come) lol. Really just wanna know if headers would screw up the AFR beyond the PCM being able to compensate for it
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Do you need a time for headers? No, but car would run better....if your doing headers now, then in a few weeks or so doing a cam, I'd wait to time till the cam swap.

FYI, I an still running my original stock mls gaskets that came on my 04 GTO....couldn't tell you how many times I've had the headers off and back on, but I still have no leaks st 90,000+ miles if that sells you on them
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

unfortunately it's headers or a cam for my budget lol. The typical gains from headers are not THAT much lower than a cam that I can do without headers, and if I get stainless 1 7/8" headers that's something I can continue to use even in my big 427 plans way down the road. So that does help me a lot. thanks! Looks like I'm gonna be giving TSP another call tonight about getting a set of headers as soon as they are off backorder haha
Thanks for the help!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
I'm not trying to cheap out on it. the nearest dyno tuner from me is 50 miles, and even TSP didn't recommend driving the car that far, there are others a little further out that are top notch for 350-400. and last I checked.. a mail order tune is cheaper than getting a car towed 50-100 miles, and also means It's not a priority so I can get to it later. It's a viable option for many people as a temporary solution, but I would never consider a mail order tune to be 100% unless it's done with data logging, and even then who knows. a good street and dyno tune is where it's at.

While were on this though, while talking to TSP last night, he highly recommended headers first. While I was against this because of all the trouble I had with header gaskets in the past, he re-assured me that it wouldn't be an issue with the GM multi-layer gaskets. At the time I just blew off the thought of it.. looking back over here I don't see many people having trouble at all.

Would 1 7/8" headers require a re-tune? My car has been tuned on the dyno and had all smog stuff deleted because at that time I did want the car to be long tube ready (guess I knew this day would come) lol. Really just wanna know if headers would screw up the AFR beyond the PCM being able to compensate for it
That's funny. Does no one remember the days before there was even tuning suites for us to use? We would put cams in these cars and drive them every day untuned. Especially a cam like a 224.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
That's funny. Does no one remember the days before there was even tuning suites for us to use? We would put cams in these cars and drive them every day untuned. Especially a cam like a 224.
that was also before appropriate data logging and AFR information was available... my car has 106K miles on it and I'm not about to risk blowing it for an over lean condition getting throttle happy one day. If I was installing it for the sound only and never gonna goose it... well I'd probably just sell the car and get something else LOL. But I do agree to an extent, I really didn't think the 224R was big enough that the PCM would not be capable of compensating.. at least not for highway only driving which in 6th is like 1500-1800 RPM *shrug*
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

I'll probably be going mail order when I get my PCM and mods installed.

Quick Reply: This is probably a beaten horse.. BUT...