Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any positive uses for EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default any positive uses for EGR?

Anybody mess around with the EGR on 98-00 cars, for part throttle fuel economy?

I know most of the posts about it are just to delete it, but wondering if anybody has done anything with using it for any positive benefits, and if so, what kind of mpg were you able to pick up, .1, .5, 1?

Ryan.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess that the stock part-throttle EGR settings are already fairly optimized for fuel economy. You can probably only make it worse.

Since a lot of cars seem to be rich at WOT, there's probably something to be gained there even as power is added. WOT and fuel economy don't go together though.

I believe small amounts of recirculated exhaust gas actually has a catalyzing effect on the combustion process. However, the main purpose is to reduce emissions.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:14 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's entire purpose is emission related & will not effect power & MPG when operating normally.
If it is a stock vehicle the componet it "helps" the most is the catalytic converters.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it does help mpg because the engine can run leaner without detonating because the exhaust gases are already burned and act like an inert gas. I think the optimum amount is something like 15% exhaust gas. GM probably got it pretty much optimized, but it never hurts to try. I say go for it.