PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tune out idle issues after automatic swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to tune out idle issues after automatic swap?

swapped my M6 to a TH400 trans. The car idles fine on start up but if your goin 45mph and come to a stop sign it will die. the car will idle ruff and just shut off. what do i need to change to straighten this out? I have EFI live tuning software. the car does not have a VSS sensor hooked up so the car does not know how fast its going. this is some of the issue id assume, the car doesn't know its coming to a stop from speed. i think the IAC normally would do some correction. this wont be a simple change like a car that has a 4l60e with all the sensors hooked up. anyone got any ideas??
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Without the VSS hooked up, you will have a harder time... You willl have to use the P/N tables for running airflow and bump it up - might make it idle a little high when stopped though. Might wanna look at a log of your spark - you will be running off of the P/N tables there too...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

now the car has a code P0507. I'm sure it was from something we changed to get it to idle correctly. i'm not sure what exactly caused it. the car idles right at 900 on the tach. seems fine. but that code is for a high idle or something. i'm pretty confused.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have the VSS yet? and the wiring hooked up to the shifter so it knows when it is in gear? If you don't have any of that, the PCM will think the car is sitting in park and not moving - if you let off the throttle, and coast, the rpm will be higher than the PCM thinks it should be for normal idle - if it does that long enough, you get the code...
Old 04-27-2012, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

no VSS yet. I have the wiring from the M6 clutch switch to the shifter so it only starts in park and nuetral. so it should also then know when it is in gear. I was told ppl have had th400 swaps with no VSS and with tuning the car drove fine and had no codes. my understanding was the VSS was not a 100% necessity to get the car to work correctly. I know it would make things much easier tho lol.

if this is not the case and i must have a VSS to eliminate this code, then if this code dont hurt my motor i'll race it like this. not a huge deal i guess.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

That's true, the VSS is not a must, but makes it a whole lot easier. How did you adjust your idle - throttle blade? or in the tune? how do your IAC counts look?

The code won't hurt it - might wanna just shut it off if you can't tune it out...

Last edited by BLK02WS6; 04-27-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

adjusted idle in the tune. did not look at the IAT counts. My friend who owns the software knows more than I do and has been changing the tune for me. but we are both amatures at this. what or where do we look to find the setting to turn off? i know we changes some other things to not respond anymore and codes went away. I assume this is what your talking about. we are using EFI live also.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

Yes, under engine diagnostics folder, change the code to not reported.