PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my o2 sensor shot?

Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my o2 sensor shot?

hey guys, i'm having problem throwing code P0134 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1. i guess this means that the o2 sensor isn't working properly. i'm going to swap the o2's and see if it follows it.

i watched what was happening with auto tap and the bank 2 sensor moves around from .500mv to .900mv pretty frequently. the bank 1 sensor just sits at .440mv to .445mv which would make me believe it isn't working properly, is this correct thinking?

also, my ltrms stay at 0% all the time, no matter what. does this mean that the car is running in open loop all the time? i'm kindof a newbie to the computer part of these cars. sorry if they're dumb questions

thanks for you help
Old 03-26-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

that assumption is correct, the p0134/135 can occurr when you add say a "o2 extension" and the wire is bad or becomes damaged.

The bank 1 sensor is not reporting correctly, it should sweep with the same peaks and troughs as the bank 2 given the motor is operating correctly.

I would verify an o2 extenders, if you had them, and the o2 wiring first.

If you notice the bank 1 sensor comes alive say after driving it for a bit, then its likely the heating system is not operating, because o2 sensors don't do much until they warm up.

Typically on a cold day an unheated sensor can take 5 minutes of driving to warm up where as a heated one can take 30-60 seconds.

I'm assuming you drove it around enough logging to get them both nice and toasty.

never underestimate the wiring, o2 sensors surely do die, but wiring can get screwed up too. but in either case a 2002 car should not have bad wiring nor a dead o2. they usually last 6-10 years if the car runs well and isn't abused.

back when 1 wire o2 sensors came out , they still lasted quite a while, because egt's kept them happy. things like flushing coolant, or the lube onthe threads onto them can kill them rapidly, but again i doubt your new vehicle has had that problem.

could be a bum o2 sensor, its generally a good idea to replace them both at the same time, but given your motor is so new, you might be able to get away with one.

as they age, they react slower and produce less voltage, throwing your trims off.

my o2 sensors have 70.5K miles on them, and still work great, fwiw.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by samz28

never underestimate the wiring, o2 sensors surely do die, but wiring can get screwed up too. but in either case a 2002 car should not have bad wiring nor a dead o2. they usually last 6-10 years if the car runs well and isn't abused.

back when 1 wire o2 sensors came out , they still lasted quite a while, because egt's kept them happy. things like flushing coolant, or the lube onthe threads onto them can kill them rapidly, but again i doubt your new vehicle has had that problem.
yeah, i never had this problem until the heads install. i just got the car running with the new heads a couple of days ago and it has done this the entire time. the o2's definetly had time to heat up since i had been driving for around 15 minutes when i did the logs. i also have not thrown the 0135 code.

i think it may be very possible that coolant got on the o2 since it went everywhere when i pulled off the heads. if switching the o2's dosn't show anything (gonna try the easiest fix first) then i will definetly check over all the wiring. it could be very possible i damaged it during the install as well.

sam, thanks for you input

Last edited by KGSloan; 03-26-2004 at 08:21 PM.

Search this Thread