PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble codes inspection failed help

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trouble codes inspection failed help

Just picked up a 98 camaro ss a4 a couple of days ago. Inspection is almost expired so I figured do an oil change and insp. the same time. The car was running fine. As soon as they told me it failed it was throwing 3 codes with no SES light?? I can only think that the guy I bought the car from pulled the bulb. (I don't even see it when the key is turned to the acc position) To top it off the car now cranks for about 20-30sec before starting?? I noticed dirt removed from the plugs on the egr and maf sensors. As if someone messed with them.

The codes showing are:

P0108 MAP/MAF SENSORS
P0405 EGR
P0410 AIR SYSTEM

Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car have any mods? is the Air system and EGR still intact? sounds like the previous owner removed the AIR and EGR which is common for people to do especially if they install headers, they probably didnt want to pay a tuner to delete the codes and disabled the light all together.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Negative. They are both still there. And the EGR looks to be new

I cleaned the maf and cleared the codes and drove it. still hard to start sometimes and the EGR code showed back up already. Think it could be plugged with carbon?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Now it died when driving. No sputtering just cut off. It will not start at all now. Fuel pump is running when key is cycled but no luck on starting. Now I'm stuck in a damn parking lot...any help would be great.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Have you checked to see if theres actually wires running to the computer for those pins?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Have you checked to see if theres actually wires running to the computer for those pins?
For the EGR and AIR? both are still in place. The car is stock besides a SLP loudmouth and lid.
I did a bit of poking around and come to find out it seems the previous owner or someone thought it was not getting fuel. The section of the body is cut above the fuel tank to access the fuel pump(ghetto!). Some insulation is stripped off the wires going to the pump as if someone was probing it but it does not appear that they removed the pump.

This is driving me nuts
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you try to unplug the MAF and then see if it will start. A failed EGR will not keep the car from starting.

Search this Thread