Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a tune

Hey all I bought my '99 z28 about a month ago, only mod is a magna flow exhaust. I don't really plan on doing anything to the motor anytime soon, maybe putting a cut out so my car isn't so quiet all the time. My question is will tuning the PCM have any benefits for me? I'm looking at maybe increasing gas mileage. I've heard tuning it does help with that, or will a tune not really do much for the car since I don't have any cam or bolt on mods done?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Your honestly not going to get your money's worth out of tuning it. It will probably cost you $400+ for a tune that MAY get you a handfull of HP and 1-2 mpg. If i were you, i would save it until you decide to mod (it will happen).

My two cents. Best of luck however you decide.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is an M6 then save your money. If it is an A4 then I would just get a street tune. It may not get you a ton of horsepower, but it will really do wonders for the feel and shifts of the car. If you have plans of other mods within the next year or two though I would hold out til those have been added.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only if you want your car to go faster and have all your power when you want it and not when your computer thinks its ok
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

It is an m6, I guess my mod fever started earlier than I thought, but I gues when things can be has at the right price what's the point in passing them up, I'm looking at a smooth bellow and some headers, at what point would you say I should get a tune done on the car? Do any of you have experience with hand held tuners? Are those worth the money?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

if u plan on doing headers soon just wait but if its gunna be awhile before u do anything else i would tune it. tunes do wonders for car that people often underestimate