Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

minimal mod tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default minimal mod tuning

Currently I have a 99 A4 with only a lid and catback.

I try to limit my new threads some only if I have questions after doing research by looking at what is already here.

So I know, or have read, that when you start doing exhaust modifications on these cars such as catback and headers they start running rich.

Now I plan on down the road possibly getting hptuners, probably after I get headers and an ls6 intake. I was going to try to figure out alot of the tuning myself by doing research online, books and what not, and my cousin has experience doing tuning so he was going to help me learn too.

But I have noticed lately that alot of different posts in the drag racing sections are telling people with not much done to their cars that a tune is going to help out quite a bit with how they are running.

So now my question is, on a fairly stock vehicle how much is there that can be changed in the tuning that will make a huge difference in how the car runs?

Like I said I do know that currently I am probably running rich. Also, I dont think with a stock drive train it would be wise to eliminate torque management and abuse mode.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

No doubt about it that your car will run better and faster with a tune.

even if you didnt touch the AFR, just rescaling your torque management and improving your shift quality will make the car very differant.

If you dont think your going to install more go fast parts, you'd like the tune now. If you feel there are additional modifications in your near future, hold off on the tune so you dont have to pay for a touch up.
Phil
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
No doubt about it that your car will run better and faster with a tune.

even if you didnt touch the AFR, just rescaling your torque management and improving your shift quality will make the car very differant.

If you dont think your going to install more go fast parts, you'd like the tune now. If you feel there are additional modifications in your near future, hold off on the tune so you dont have to pay for a touch up.
Phil
Thanks for the reply.

There are more parts/modifications on the way, just not sure when. I was going to get my own tuning software, as of the moment leaning towards hptuners.

The plan is though to tune lets say with current set up, and figure out what I am doing and learn how different tunes effect how it runs, and then adjust. Then down the road when I get a stall, or h/c, or this or that I will have a base of knowledge to learn from.

I just wasnt sure how big of difference I could expect from a fairly stock car. I know I could buy a tuner and apply a "tune" but I like to know whats being changed to get me where I am, and I know every car is different, so something that gives xxhp here wont give xxhp on that...if that makes sense.