Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1Edit or HP Tuners???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1Edit or HP Tuners???

Which should I get?? How do they compare?? Im looking for all the feedback I can get. I want to purchase one of these like yesterday, but would like to know which is better. Do I still need AutoTap with LS1Edit or is it like HP Tuner with a built in scanner in it? I was about to order Edit because I had never heard of HP, but after looking at it breifly I am dazed and confused again. Please, all of the help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sam
Old 03-27-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go w/HP Tuner... I'm dumping my LS1 Edit and getting it as soon as I have the cash...

HP Tuner has a built in scanner... plus it's not PCM locked so it ACTUALLY has a resale value... (if you ever sell your car... if you have LS1 Edit then it would have to go w/the car unless you put a different PCM in it... whereas HP Tuners you could sell online for any car that's the same year and body type )

Also w/HP Tuners if you kill your PCM (has happened to me... lost communication during a write w/ls1 edit and had to pay a dealership 50 bux plus get my car that wouldn't start to the dealership to fix) it can recover the PCM ... so no need for a spare PCM (which I ended up buying for LS1 Edit since I was afraid of killing my PCM again)
Old 03-27-2004, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by horist
I'd go w/HP Tuner... I'm dumping my LS1 Edit and getting it as soon as I have the cash...

HP Tuner has a built in scanner... plus it's not PCM locked so it ACTUALLY has a resale value... (if you ever sell your car... if you have LS1 Edit then it would have to go w/the car unless you put a different PCM in it... whereas HP Tuners you could sell online for any car that's the same year and body type )

Also w/HP Tuners if you kill your PCM (has happened to me... lost communication during a write w/ls1 edit and had to pay a dealership 50 bux plus get my car that wouldn't start to the dealership to fix) it can recover the PCM ... so no need for a spare PCM (which I ended up buying for LS1 Edit since I was afraid of killing my PCM again)
I have the HP Tuner VCM Suite, and I like the product! I get free updates for a year and like Horist said it has "Resale" value. I can write my configurations in less than 2 minutes. There are some bugs, but every new product has them. I get my first update this week. I've managed to get my car working real well, awesome! My Predator is now a "code clearer" at best, and that too is VIN locked. This is the only way to go, mail order tunes suck A$$!

Some kid down here offered to tune my car on a dyno for $450.00. That in itself prompted me to get this software. Why pay someone that much money for something I can learn to do myself.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a note about that Predator, on the new
diablosporttuning site I read where they are going
to be "clearing" GM Predators for a fee of $75.
So there will be some improvement to resale
value (like probably go from $50 to $150-$200).
Check it out.

But I figure on keeping mine and using it as
a tweaker on top of my HPTuners programming,
as I also saw on the site that it can be made to
load & do its adjusts to -whatever- program is in
there, once you have the basic custom tuning
program run on it. The Predator still has some
convenience going for it.

As to the original question, I have HPTuners and
it looks like the better choice , I've used all of
the functions, the "coverage" of the editor looks
on a par w/ Edit and these guys seem to be ready