PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live and HP tuners in same PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI Live and HP tuners in same PCM?

Can you use both simultaneously for one PCM?

Got dyno tuned with EFI Live and its spot on, except for the idle. Went and got the idle tuned with HP tuners due to the tuner not being able to get the idle right with EFI Live, something about EFI Live doesn't have some tables that HP tuners does. I have EFI Live, which is why we tuned it with it, in case I wanted to make little changes to the tune without going back to the tuner. So now I can't load the EFI Live tune back into the PCM without buying another license for some reason. The vehicle developed a power steering leak, whats why we didn't finish the tune. Anyone heard of idle issues with EFI Live? How can I reload the dyno tune without buying another license?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

EFI Live is not the reason for the idle issues...Did you use your EFI Live cable to do the initial tune? If not, that's why you must buy a license.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Yes, used my EFI Live as my tuner didn't have the hardware. I just had him download the software to get familiar with it, I brought my flashscan down and we used a license I purchased on my laptop. The tuner stated something about a dead spot in the fuel tables?

It idles great with the Hp tuners tune in it now, I just can go past 20% throttle without the possibility of damage to the motor. I have no idea how to tune otherwise I'd look into using EFI Live more.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be able to read and write to the PCM if you licensed it on your cable - you are doing something wrong. As long as the actual PCM hasn't been switched...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

It has a HP tuners tune in it now, is that making it interfere? Does it matter if we switch to a COS? I don't remember what OS the PCM had when we licensed it, does it matter?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club

If you used an HPTuners custom operating system, EFILive will not read it - and vice versa... custom operating systems are proprietary to each company and must use that company's software for tuning from that point on...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

So can I load a regular hp tuners os and then switch back to EFI Live, or is another license or pcm needed?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM
9 Second Club

Yes, if you put a non-custom OS back in with HP tuners, then you can go back to EFILive...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Alright, does the HP tuners hardware have to be the same one used, or can another one do it. The one that was used is a unlimited license one or whatever, but its 50 miles away. My buddy has one, if I could use his, that would be easier.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

EFI is not the problem. The tune is the problem. If you licensed the pcm with your EFI cable you can flash it as many times as you want for free. It doesnt matter if 5 people with HPT flashes it you can always flash it with EFI for free. If your friend doesnt have unlimted license for his HPT cable it will cost him a $99 license to flash it with his HPT cable.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to do the same thing I did. I had a pcm tuned with HPtuners but I own EFI live. Therefore I could not tune the car myself and its a 3 hr drive round trip. I purchased a second pcm. Same one 0411 and just installed an EFI live tune on it. It took us a while but we were able to get the car to drive and idle with both HP tuners and EFI live and I use 160lb injectors that are low impedence with resistors. No driver box.

I took the pcm that runs good, the one that has hptuners on it and mounted it in my trunk. This way if I ever have a problem with the pcm that I am trying to tune I can just get my back up and still get the car home. That is what I would do. Get another pcm.

Quick Reply: EFI Live and HP tuners in same PCM?