PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune in Park vs. Drive. vs. Neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tune in Park vs. Drive. vs. Neutral?

Quick question, the park/neutral position switch appears to tell the PCM what gear the transmission is in (according to the wiring diagram). Does the PCM alter the tune or anything else depending on which gear the transmission is in? I read somewhere that it will adjust the idle differently. Is this true, does it do anything else?

The reason I ask is because I'm putting a T56 into my '01 Silverado. I grounded two of the four wires on the transmission range switch/sensor so it displays DRIVE when the engine is off. Then for some reason when the engine is running it will display 2ND, which I think is a default. It will display 2ND if I don't ground any of the wires on the range switch too. How can I wire the transmission range switch to display DRIVE all the time? Or does it not even matter?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a couple things: 1) it makes sure the car won't start unless it is in park/neutral (neutral safety) - with a manual, it shouldn't start unless the clutch is in... 2) there are a lot of tables in the tune for park/neutral or in gear - with a manual, it uses the park/neutral tables when the clutch is in and the in gear tables when the clutch is out...

Search around on here for posts on converting an auto to a manual and you should find info about the clutch switch and how to wire everything...
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I wired the clutch switch to the neutral/park signal wire (yellow) and the starter relay voltage wire (purple/white) that were on the PNP switch. The clutch switch works as desired. With the engine off but key in RUN, the display on the dash shows DRIVE, doesn't matter what the clutch position is. When the engine is running the display shows 2ND, again doesn't matter what the clutch position is. Should the display show NEUTRAL when I depress the clutch?

I did search but was unable to find wiring tips. Most people seem to use the M6 harness on their A4 to M6 swaps. There is little to no mention of the range switch.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 05-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize you were talking about the dash display... not sure how that is activated. sorry, no help for ya...
Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
There are a couple things: 1) it makes sure the car won't start unless it is in park/neutral (neutral safety) - with a manual, it shouldn't start unless the clutch is in... 2) there are a lot of tables in the tune for park/neutral or in gear - with a manual, it uses the park/neutral tables when the clutch is in and the in gear tables when the clutch is out...

Search around on here for posts on converting an auto to a manual and you should find info about the clutch switch and how to wire everything...
Doesn't it depend on his OS though? I know the T56 f-bodies have 0's in the factory tune for the P/N cells, which leads me to believe it works off the In-Gear cells most if not all of the time. I know it's true at least for the idle airflow tables.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I didn't realize you were talking about the dash display... not sure how that is activated. sorry, no help for ya...
Well I'm talking about both the dash and what the PCM is seeing from the transmission range switch. Basically I want to hotwire the range switch such that the PCM is using the in-gear tube/tables. Whether or not the dash and PCM see the same thing I don't know. Getting the dash to read DRIVE is merely me being ****. The idle speed now is the same as it was before when the truck was in gear. This may be in indication that it has defaulted to the in-gear tables. It drives well but occasionally comes very close to stalling when I push in the clutch coming to a stop.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

With TC2 or HPT you can turn the prndl off.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sreve
With TC2 or HPT you can turn the prndl off.
What is the prndl?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

That light on the dash that says P R N D 2 1
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sreve
That light on the dash that says P R N D 2 1
Ah yes, the ideal would be to turn off that display. So I can turn that off completely in the tune?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes..
Attached Thumbnails Tune in Park vs. Drive. vs. Neutral?-prndl.jpg   Tune in Park vs. Drive. vs. Neutral?-prnd21.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok sweet. Then my next question is, if the tuner sets up the PCM like its a manual, does it even matter how I wire the transmission range switch?

Quick Reply: Tune in Park vs. Drive. vs. Neutral?