PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona emissions fail***UPDATE**PASS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Arizona emissions fail***UPDATE**PASS!

For the second time, the computer reported that the OBDII system "not ready" and therefore couldn't be tested. No SES light, 230 miles driven since the final tune, numerous starts and stops. The catalyst, air system, heated O2 all show not ready. O2 sensor and evap system show ready. Anyone come across this before? Car has a small cam, 85mm Z06 maf, FAST 90/90 intake, cattedy y pipe, headers with air tubes.

Last edited by Double Aught; 05-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Sounds like the codes just need to be massaged to allow them to pass. Sometimes this needs to happen even with cats on the car because aftermarket cats aren't as effective as factory ones. Not sure where you are located in AZ but it's something I can easily taken care of.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NicD
Sounds like the codes just need to be massaged to allow them to pass. Sometimes this needs to happen even with cats on the car because aftermarket cats aren't as effective as factory ones. Not sure where you are located in AZ but it's easily taken care of.
What codes are you refering to? It was tuned on a Mustang dyno and on Monday, there were no codes, everything looked good. I don't have a clue about tuning, but the car seemed to be ready to go. I have to take it to a referee station on monday and they hook up a different computer than the one at the emissions station and hopefully it will give me some direction on where to go with this. It is very frustrating because the car is running great.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive actually seen about 5 posts with this same issue from different states. So ill start with this has the car passed inspection before with the current setup minus the tune?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

No. This is the first time since the build and final tune it had to get smogged. It has a small cam from AI and the mods listed in my signature and in my OP. From the beginning of the build, it was a prerequisite that it pass emissions.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright well i dont see a problem with any of the mods done. Ive been an inspector in nc for almost a year now. And if the aftermmarket cats were insufficient the ses light would be on unless during thee tune they disabled the rear o2 sensors but that still wouldnt affect the inspection. Heres an easy out to try and get it out of not ready status unhook the battery cables and let it set for a minute or 2 this will set it into default not ready. Hhappens all the time at the dealership someone replaces the battery in the car then sends it over for an inspection and it gives a not ready. But after you do that follow the steps here

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Even though a "drive cycle" is almost almost always different for every car this one generally works to get a car into ready status. I would complete the drive cycle at least twice though. If this doesnt work it may be something in the tune
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Alright well i dont see a problem with any of the mods done. Ive been an inspector in nc for almost a year now. And if the aftermmarket cats were insufficient the ses light would be on unless during thee tune they disabled the rear o2 sensors but that still wouldnt affect the inspection. Heres an easy out to try and get it out of not ready status unhook the battery cables and let it set for a minute or 2 this will set it into default not ready. Hhappens all the time at the dealership someone replaces the battery in the car then sends it over for an inspection and it gives a not ready. But after you do that follow the steps here

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Even though a "drive cycle" is almost almost always different for every car this one generally works to get a car into ready status. I would complete the drive cycle at least twice though. If this doesnt work it may be something in the tune
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to do this today, if not for sure tomorrow and post on Monday if it worked.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright sounds good i hope it helps and ill dig around a little more and see if i can find anything else that might cause it just in case but if everything in the tune is right it should workk
Old 05-12-2012, 04:49 PM
7 Second Club

It sounds to me like the codes were not setup properly. It's very possible to not set a code but it will also not allow the readiness tests to complete either. Here you are allowed only one test to be incomplete on 01+ and pass. I would bet the codes are not setup properly in the tune and I have seen this more and more as more shops start trying to tune ls1s and don't have the experience.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^
thiss is true id still try the drive cycles first just to save the headache of re-tuning. These inspection machines are so dammn finicky its unreal theyre more of a headache than theyre worth
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
^
thiss is true id still try the drive cycles first just to save the headache of re-tuning. These inspection machines are so dammn finicky its unreal theyre more of a headache than theyre worth
After 230 miles and many start and stops the emissions tests should have completed by now if they were going to. Changing the codes to the correct way takes seconds and not a full retune however if the codes weren't setup correctly it makes me question what else isn't.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well they may not have done that but in their defense if theyy didnt ive seen cars get the battery replaced in them give a not ready code and the customer would take the car to drive it and come back 2as weeks later with over 200 miles on it and it still gave a not ready thats why i dont like telling people drive cycles are really a good thing to tell people bc every car is different i jusst suggested that be tried first before having to go back to tuning but in the end that may very well be what has to be done
Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Nic nailed it. Codes weren't right. I drove up from Tucson yesterday, met him and in five minutes, he corrected the problem. Had a very good conversation with him and will be meeting again to address the other issues he found.
I went to the referee station this morning, told them it was fixed, they scanned the car, said it was ready to be inspected. Had it inspected, passed like it should have the first time I went. Thank you again Nic for your help.

Quick Reply: Arizona emissions fail***UPDATE**PASS!