Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my PCM toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my PCM toast?

Ok hear is the deal, I have been having weird issues with my car for a while, last summer for a while I had to have an OBD2 scanner plugged in in-order for the engine to run, sometimes my RPM and water temp gauges wont work. now I am having to have the OBD2 scanner plugged in again in order for it to run. last week it was fine and I got it tuned and they did not say there was anything wrong with it but the car is acting up now, i dont know what else it could be.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have a ground problem... when you plug in your scanner it completes the path to ground allowing you engine to run...

you need to check the various grounds, including the ones on the rear of the driver side head.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joecar
You have a ground problem... when you plug in your scanner it completes the path to ground allowing you engine to run...

you need to check the various grounds, including the ones on the rear of the driver side head.
^^+1

It's been my experience that whenever odd electrical gremlins rear their ugly heads, 99.9% of the time it's a grounding issue. You might also search for a PCM wiring schematic to help you ID the PCM grounding circuit paths more easily.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar

Last time I was having this problem we thought it was a ground problem too, so I looked at all the grounds and they looked fine. now that you brought up the fact that it is a ground problem, I was like **** it I will put a wrench on them and make sure they are tight. The ground on the back of the head was an 1/8 turn loose lol. It runs fine now, thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28MJ
Last time I was having this problem we thought it was a ground problem too, so I looked at all the grounds and they looked fine. now that you brought up the fact that it is a ground problem, I was like **** it I will put a wrench on them and make sure they are tight. The ground on the back of the head was an 1/8 turn loose lol. It runs fine now, thanks
Weird that just 1/8 turn solved it....but glad it took care of it. My only other suggestion is that since it appears that you found the culprit, you should completely remove the bolt from the back of the head and clean the grounding loops thoroughly.....then bolt it all back up. Corrosion can be a bitch, and cause more issues....even when everything looks clean.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

yeah I was surprised that an 1/8 turn fixed it. ok I will do that. thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Wasnt so much of it being 1/8 lose . Like someone else said , that 1/8 knocked the corrosion lose between the terminal and head.