Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an RX7/LS1 project... several codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an RX7/LS1 project... several codes

The car runs well, but it doesn't run perfect... so I ordered and installed an ODBII port and got me an ebay USB scanner and installed Pro Scan. Here's what it told me (after clearing the codes):

Stored codes:
1. P0480
Powertrain: Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit

I'm running a stand-alone fan controller... am I going to have to get my PCM modded to omit this code?

2. P1860
Powertrain: TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

Looked this one up but it concerns the torque converter... I have a T56. Do I have a PCM from an auto??

Pending Trouble Codes:

1. P0332
Powertrain: Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Input (Bank 2)

This one means the intake is coming off (joy) but does it make the car run in limp mode?

2. P0785
Powertrain: 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical

It appears this one is for an auto trans, too. Looking more and more like I'll need to get one from a manual...
Old 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm guessing that since it's an RX7 swap, it's NOT an auto trans in the car. You need to have the tune file modded to delete codes p0785, p1860, and p0480 (if you're not using pcm controlled fans). If you ARE using PCM controlled fans, you need to double-check the fan relay circuits.

P0332 would suggest either defective knock senor or faulty knock sensor circuit wiring.

Edit...funny, I just saw your writing in red...after my reply. lol

And YES...your tune is from an AUTO vehicle....not that big of a deal, just have the codes removed from the tune....you'll want to have the car tuned anyway to make it run as it should.

Last edited by salemetro; 05-29-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Teching In

LOL no sweat. It's even funnier since I never saw the initial reply. The sucky part is... I'm in Spain with the car for the next year or so and can't afford more than a weekend's worth or down time (well I can, but that uses up leave so screw that.) so mailing it off is out and no one tunes LS1s here because... they don't really have them. Looks like I'll end up buying a '98 PCM for a manual and then selling my auto one (or trading!).
Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9kredline
LOL no sweat. It's even funnier since I never saw the initial reply. The sucky part is... I'm in Spain with the car for the next year or so and can't afford more than a weekend's worth or down time (well I can, but that uses up leave so screw that.) so mailing it off is out and no one tunes LS1s here because... they don't really have them. Looks like I'll end up buying a '98 PCM for a manual and then selling my auto one (or trading!).
If possible, stay away from the 98 PCM. Are you very familiar with the wiring in the car? If you're going to have to swap a PCM, consider updating to the 99-02 PCM...do a search on here for a how-to. As far as a tune, you can just order a new PCM from some of the vendors on this site with a pre-loaded tune, with VATS, Skip Sift, etc. deleted from the tune. Just a thought. The car STILL won't be perfect until you can have the VE dialed in correctly (on a dyno)...but it should get ya pretty close.

Quick Reply: Bought an RX7/LS1 project... several codes